Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/21 16:45:20 UTC

Creating a servicemix redistributable

Hi all,

I'm looking to create a redistributable ESB for our internal product based
on servicemix.  The idea is to create a preinstalled, predeployed
application that can simply be started up (and have a little bit of
configuration applied to point to things like our main app).

As a result, I want to be able to preinstall things like our own OSGi
bundles as well as other bundles that we know we want installed (but aren't
installed by default in SMX).  I've done things like this in the past with
JBoss (where we predeploy our app to the AS7 runtime), and was curious how
to do it with servicemix?  I'm assuming I can use a maven assembly, based
on the assemblies I saw here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/features/trunk/assemblies/

I also noticed in this pom file, you use a karaf plugin.  Does this
preinstall these features?

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/features/trunk/assemblies/apache-servicemix-minimal/pom.xml

Thanks for any feedback,

John

Re: Creating a servicemix redistributable

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

You can use either Apache ServiceMix or Apache Karaf as the starting
point for creating a custom distribution, it shouldn't make that much
of a difference.  ServiceMix itself is a custom distribution of Karaf
too, so you can use the same technique to build a custom distribution
on top of ServiceMix as well.  If you only want to add things to an
existing ServiceMix distribution, starting with that ServiceMix
distribution probably makes more sense.  If you want an assembly
similar to ServiceMix, but with some removals as well, it might be
easier to start with Karaf and then only add those things you really
want.  In the latter case, you can always take a peek at the
ServiceMix Features codebase, where our assembly is built, to get a
more elaborate example of such a custom distribution or even use that
code as the starting base for your own distro.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Jean-Baptiste,