Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Bhuvaneswaran Gopalasami <bh...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/29 07:44:22 UTC

Jars in Kafka 0.10

I have recently started looking into Kafka I noticed the number of Jars in
Kafka 0.10 has increased when compared to 0.8.2. Do we really need all
those libraries to run Kafka ?

Thanks,
Bhuvanes

Re: Jars in Kafka 0.10

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
This is a combination of Connect and Streams, and actually probably more
related to Connect because it pulls in a bunch of jars to implement its
REST API. You don't need all of them to run any of the individual
components, but they are currently bundled altogether in a way that is,
unfortunately, not easy to detangle. Note that you won't be including all
of these if you're using any of the client libraries via Maven dependencies
(which includes producer, consumer, or streams).

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Gerard Klijs <ge...@dizzit.com>
wrote:

> No, if you don't use streams you don't need them. If you have no clients
> (so also no mirror maker) running on the same machine you also don't need
> the client jar, if you run zookeeper separately you also don't need those.
>
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 4:22 PM Bhuvaneswaran Gopalasami <
> bhuvanraghavan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have recently started looking into Kafka I noticed the number of Jars
> in
> > Kafka 0.10 has increased when compared to 0.8.2. Do we really need all
> > those libraries to run Kafka ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bhuvanes

Ewen

Re: Jars in Kafka 0.10

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.

wrote:

> No, if you don't use streams you don't need them. If you have no clients
> (so also no mirror maker) running on the same machine you also don't need
> the client jar, if you run zookeeper separately you also don't need those.
>
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 4:22 PM Bhuvaneswaran Gopalasami <
> bhuvanraghavan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have recently started looking into Kafka I noticed the number of Jars
> in
> > Kafka 0.10 has increased when compared to 0.8.2. Do we really need all
> > those libraries to run Kafka ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bhuvanes

Ewen