Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Sergey Evdokimov <se...@gridgain.com> on 2015/07/30 15:39:46 UTC

Pointless javadocs in test code and private classes

Hello,

In the Ignite code each class / method / field has a javadoc. Test code and
code in the private packages must have javadocs too. In the most cases
javadoc does not has value, it just duplicates member name. This pointless
javadoc take developer's time and takes lines in the editor. Furthermore
pointless javadoc distract  attention from the real javadoc.

May be we should change our guidelines. What do you think?

Re: Pointless javadocs in test code and private classes

Posted by Sergey Evdokimov <se...@gridgain.com>.
You have not to write those comments, we have a IDEA plugin that generates
those comments automatically. But it's a trash.

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@gridgain.com>.

--
Alexey Kuznetsov
GridGain Systems

Re: Pointless javadocs in test code and private classes

Posted by Ivan Veselovskiy <iv...@gridgain.com>.
Rough statistic of empty javadocs:

incubator-ignite$ grep -rnE '/\*\*\s+\*/' . | grep -v '^Binary file' | wc
-l
*6858*

ggprivate$ grep -rnE '/\*\*\s+\*/' . | grep -v '^Binary file' | wc -l
*3560*

--ivan

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Sergi Vladykin <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Evdokimov <se...@gridgain.com>.
Alexey,

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@gridgain.com>.
Pavel,

--
Alexey Kuznetsov
GridGain Systems

Re: Pointless javadocs in test code and private classes

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@gridgain.com>.
Alexey, "it is not so hard to do X" is not the reason to do X. You don't
reinvent library functions when they are not so hard, do you?

Any extra work that can be avoided should be avoided.
We all know that concentration is very important during programming. These
useless empty comments distract you both when you write code and read it.

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 6:16 PM, Ivan Veselovskiy <iveselovskiy@gridgain.com
> wrote:

> +1
>
> As per my experience, the comments are useful not when they belong to
> members of specific visibility, but when they contain a sensible
> information.
> For example, even in public API  public int getLength() with comment /**
> Gets the length. */ is senseless , because it contains only obvious
> information.
>
> --ivan
>
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@gridgain.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I agree.
> >
> > Public things (classes/interfaces/methods/etc) should always have
> non-empty
> > docs, I think, but private things rarely need it.
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 4:39 PM, Sergey Evdokimov <
> sevdokimov@gridgain.com
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > In the Ignite code each class / method / field has a javadoc. Test code
> > and
> > > code in the private packages must have javadocs too. In the most cases
> > > javadoc does not has value, it just duplicates member name. This
> > pointless
> > > javadoc take developer's time and takes lines in the editor.
> Furthermore
> > > pointless javadoc distract  attention from the real javadoc.
> > >
> > > May be we should change our guidelines. What do you think?
> > >

> > --
> > --
> > Pavel Tupitsyn
> > GridGain Systems, Inc.
> > www.gridgain.com

Pavel Tupitsyn
GridGain Systems, Inc.
www.gridgain.com

Re: Pointless javadocs in test code and private classes

Posted by Ivan Veselovskiy <iv...@gridgain.com>.
+1

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@gridgain.com>.
I agree.