Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com> on 2015/03/18 21:19:38 UTC

[Flex Mobile] Flash Builder instructions

I've been searching the web, including the Apache Flex site, looking for some very specific instructions and I'm coming up empty.

I know a number of you write Flex apps that work on both iOS 8 and Android. I'm looking for instructions as to how to set up Flash Builder 4.7 to deploy to an iPhone running iOS 8.

I'm putting together a mobile FlexJS app and want to compare it to a Flex mobile app. I'm not 100% sure FlexJS will work on a device (it should work as a JavaScript app deployed via Phone Gap) but I want to give it a try plus I want to get some ideas for FlexJS from a running mobile app.

Any links to Flash Builder set up (e.g., how to do tell Flash Builder to use the iOS 8 SDK - that sort of thing).  I know in pre-Apache days, you could use Flash Builder pretty easily to do mobile development, but since then there are many a number of iOS releases, Flex, and AIR changes.

Thanks.

Peter Ent
Adobe Systems

Re: [Flex Mobile] Flash Builder instructions

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.
All,

Finally got it work. It turns out it was a device registration problem. I
have a number of old devices listed (some devices I no longer have) and I
was 100% sure that this iPhone 5 I was using was listed. But when
everything else checked out, I compared the UUID of the device with those
in my list and it wasn’t there. So I added it, regenerated the
provisioning profile and it worked.

Now I can at least look at real Flex mobile behavior and see how to make
FlexJS have similar attributes.

One thing that is odd, though, the size of the app does not fill out the
larger iPhone 5 screen. I had thought it would default to fill out the
screen (and that by now AIR would know there is something beyond an iPhone
4), but maybe that’s an -app.xml issue or something like that. Minor issue
for me.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Peter Ent
Adobe Systems

Posted by Paul Moreau <pa...@zutec.com>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by "kevin.godell" <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Paul Moreau <pa...@zutec.com>.

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.
I don’t see how iTunes fits into this unless I build an export/release IPA
file, which I’m not doing. I want to be able to real-time debug the app.

I did read your email and I do have iTunes 12.1 installed however.

Thanks,
—peter

Posted by Subs <su...@leeburrows.com>.

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

Re: [Flex Mobile] Flash Builder instructions

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
If there's no corporate choice here and they can use whatever they one, I
think they will give IntelliJ a try since I think, will make the work more
confortable.
Just my 2 cents.

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

oficinas c/ Tres Creus, nº 104, 2-1, 08202 de Sabadell (Barcelona) con la
documentación necesaria.

Re: [Flex Mobile] Flash Builder instructions

Posted by Subs <su...@leeburrows.com>.

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

Re: [Flex Mobile] Flash Builder instructions

Posted by Subs <su...@leeburrows.com>.
i've had same problem - the AIR version you are using determines the
itunes version to use (even if installing via FB).

For AIR 17 (maybe 16 too), use itunes 12.1. For 16 and earlier (or maybe
15 and earlier), use itunes 12.0

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

Re: [Flex Mobile] Flash Builder instructions

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 18, 2015 11:50 PM, "jude" <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In Flash Builder choose File > New > New Flex Mobile project and follow
the
> on screen instructions. Be sure to select Apple iOS as a target platform.
> When you export (File > Export > Flash Builder > Release Build) you will
> get a chance to select your target platform again and you can choose Apple
> iOS if it's not chosen and deselect any other target platforms. I think
you
> may need to have XCode installed but that requirement might have been
> removed.

No need for XCode.  I work exclusively on a PC; never needed that for
development.

> Here are some links to get you started.
> Developing Mobile Applications with Flex 4.6 and Flash Builder 4.6
> <http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/mobileapps/index.html>
> - Create an iOS application in Flash Builder
> <
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/mobileapps/WSc5cd04c102ae3e97-6386d92012ddfaf03f8-8000.html

> - Export Apple iOS packages for release
> <
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/mobileapps/WSADC382C9-CEBC-47c6-81AD-975D9A72C677.html

> Note: IIRC during the export stage the swf and all required files that
need
> to be included for the ipa are placed in a folder in your projects
> directory. You can take a look at what is created before it gets bundled
> up.
>

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been searching the web, including the Apache Flex site, looking for
> > some very specific instructions and I'm coming up empty.
> >
> > I know a number of you write Flex apps that work on both iOS 8 and
> > Android. I'm looking for instructions as to how to set up Flash Builder
4.7
> > to deploy to an iPhone running iOS 8.
> >
> > I'm putting together a mobile FlexJS app and want to compare it to a
Flex
> > mobile app. I'm not 100% sure FlexJS will work on a device (it should
work
> > as a JavaScript app deployed via Phone Gap) but I want to give it a try
> > plus I want to get some ideas for FlexJS from a running mobile app.

Running FlexJS inside Adobe AIR should make for an interesting experiment.
You could actually have the Flash version and the HTML/JS version (inside
the HTML control)  running side by side.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Subs <su...@leeburrows.com>.
I dont think you have to do anything special, other than using AIR16 or
above (to comply with apples' 64 bit requirements).

You certainly dont need to specify (or download) an ios sdk