Posted to muse-dev@ws.apache.org by Oliver Waeldrich <ol...@gmx.de> on 2007/10/17 21:23:28 UTC

stripping of namespace problem in muse

Dear all,

In the createElement() method of XmlUtils by default all xmlns namespaces declarations are striped off. In MUSE-232 this issue was partially addressed in order to support fully qualified attributes. However, it turned out that this patch addresses this issue only partially. The following XML snippet illustrates the problem:

<myelement xmlns:tns="http://foo.org" xsi:type="tns:bar">1234<myelement>

Here, the xmlns attribute is stripped off, which results in an error in later deserialisation. The reason why these attributes are stripped off is according to a code comment a bug in Xerces. However, I was not able to reproduce the bug mentioned, nor is there a concrete reference. Could somebody give me a hint why this "hack" was actually introduced in the code (Dan, do you know sonething about it?). This might help to find a better solution than the current one. Furthermore, since MUSE-225 potentially addressed a related issue, this Xerces hack might be obsolete.

Thanks a lot,
Oliver