Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Dave Lester <da...@davelester.org> on 2015/05/07 20:47:13 UTC

[DISCUSS] Mysos Incubation proposal

Howdy,

I'd like to begin a discussion thread on a proposal to bring Mysos
(http://github.com/twitter/mysos), a MySQL on Apache Mesos framework
open sourced by Twitter earlier this week, to the ASF as an incubating
project.

A copy of the proposal is included below; please note that any required
changes will be reflected on the wiki:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MysosProposal

Your feedback and participation is welcome!

Dave

== Abstract ==

Mysos is an Apache Mesos framework for running MySQL instances.

== Proposal ==

Mysos runs on Apache Mesos (cluster manager) to dramatically simplify
the management of MySQL instances. It is designed to offer:

 * Efficient hardware utilization through multi-tenancy (in
 performance-isolated containers)
 * High reliability through preserving the MySQL state during failure
 and automatic backing up to/restoring from HDFS
 * An automated self-service option for bringing up new MySQL clusters
 * High availability through automatic MySQL master failover
 * An elastic solution that allows users to easily scale up and down a
 MySQL cluster by changing the number of slave instances

== Background ==

Initial development of Mysos was done at Twitter, and its codebase was
recently open sourced. This proposal is for Mysos to join the Apache
Incubator.

== Rationale ==

Mysos is built to be used by anyone who desires to run MySQL on Apache
Mesos, and in the near-future it will take advantage of state primitives
that are being added to the Mesos core:

Furthermore, the rapid growth of Mysos community is empowered by open
source. We believe the Apache Foundation is a great fit as the long-term
home for Mysos, as it provides an established process for
community-driven development and decision making by consensus.

== Initial Goals ==

 * Move the existing codebase to Apache
 * Integrate with the Apache development process
 * Ensure all dependencies are compliant with Apache License version 2.0
 * Strengthen and grow the Mysos community
 * Incremental development and releases per Apache guidelines

== Current Status ==

Mysos was originally born out of a project within Twitter. The original
committers (Twitter) are working with Mesosphere and Percona to fully
open source the code and make it ready for incubation at Apache.

The Mysos source is currently hosted at GitHub, which will be used to
seed the Apache git repository.

=== Meritocracy ===

We plan to invest in supporting a meritocracy. We will discuss the
requirements in an open forum. Several companies have already expressed
interest in this project, and we intend to invite additional developers
to participate. We will encourage and monitor community participation so
that privileges can be extended to those that contribute.

=== Community ===

By bringing Mysos into Apache, we believe that the community will grow
even bigger.

=== Core Developers ===

Mysos was initially developed as a collaboration between Twitter and
Mesosphere.

=== Alignment ===

We believe that having Mysos at Apache will help further the growth of
the big-data community, as it will encourage cooperation within the
greater ecosystem of projects spawned by Apache Mesos.

== Known Risks ==

=== Orphaned Products ===

Mysos is being used and developed by companies we work for so the
companies have an interest in its continued vitality.

Given strong interest we've had since open sourcing Mysos, we anticipate
we'll grow a sustainable community that will expand contributors and
keep it active as the Mesos core evolves.

=== Inexperience with Open Source ===

Most of the committers have experience at Apache, whether it's through
Apache Mesos, Aurora or other projects. Apache Mesos and Apache Aurora
were both shepherded through the ASF incubator process and have
graduated to become successful and diverse open source projects.
We also have Jake Farrell as an ASF Champion to help us through
incubation.

=== Homogenous Developers ===

Initial committers come from a number of companies. Our intention is
increase the diversity of contributing developers and their
affiliations, and we'll recognize contributions and contributors as the
community grows at Apache. We encouraged by interest in the project thus
far.

=== Reliance on Salaried Developers ===

It is expected that Mysos development will occur on both salaried time
and on volunteer time, after hours. The majority of initial committers
are paid by their employers to contribute to this project. However, they
are all passionate about the project, and we are confident that the
project will continue even if no salaried developers contribute to the
project. We are committed to recruiting additional committers including
non-salaried developers.

=== Relationships with Other Apache Products ===

Mysos depends on Apache Mesos. The Mysos team will work closely with the
Apache Mesos community to ensure the proper stateless primitives are in
place to enable MySQL to run on Apache Mesos.

=== An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===

Mysos is a new open source project and the primary benefits to joining
Apache are those outlined in the Rationale section.

== Documentation ==

Documentation is currently located as README markdown files:

/README.md
/docs/user-guide.md

Additional will continue to be added to the project.

== Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ==

The Mysos codebase is currently hosted on Github:
https://github.com/twitter/mysos.

These are the codebases that we would migrate to the Apache foundation.

== External Dependencies ==

All Mysos dependencies have Apache compatible licenses.

== Cryptography ==

We do not expect Mysos to be a controlled export item due to the use of
encryption.

== Required Resources ==

=== Mailing lists ===

 * private@mysos.incubator.apache.org
 * commits@mysos.incubator.apache.org
 * dev@mysos.incubator.apache.org

== Subversion Directory ==

Git is the preferred source control system:

 * git://git.apache.org/mysos

== Issue Tracking ==

We'd like to use JIRA for issue tracking with project key MYSOS and
Review Board for our code reviews.

== Initial Committers ==

 * Chris Aniszczyk <caniszczyk at apache dot org>
 * Vinod Kone <vinodkone at apache dot org>
 * Dave Lester <dlester at apache dot org>
 * Yan Xu <yan at twitter dot com>
 * Tobi Knaup <tobi at mesosphere dot io>
 * Sunil Shah <sunil at mesosphere dot io>
 * Jake Farrell <jfarrell at apache dot org>

== Affiliations ==

 * Chris Aniszczyk (Twitter)
 * Vinod Kone (Twitter)
 * Dave Lester (Twitter)
 * Yan Xu (Twitter)
 * Tobi Knaup (Mesosphere)
 * Sunil Shah (Mesosphere)
 * Jake Farrell (Acquia)

== Sponsors ==

=== Champion ===

 * Jake Farrell <jfarrell at apache dot org>

=== Nominated Mentors ===

 * Dave Lester <dlester at apache dot org>
 * Benjamin Hindman <benh at apache dot org>
 * Henry Saputra (hsaputra at apache dot org)

=== Sponsoring Entity ===

The Apache Incubator

Re: [DISCUSS] Mysos Incubation proposal

Posted by Dave Lester <da...@davelester.org>.
Thanks all for your feedback thus far.

I'm open to name changes, particularly since this is early in the
project's life and it would create few issues. The initial list of
committers will be touching base tomorrow morning and we'll be sure to
bring this up and report back on any potential name changes.

In the meantime, are there other questions / comments / concerns
regarding the proposal?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Aniszczyk <ca...@gmail.com>.
I'd agree that many of us within the Mesos community see this as a pattern
and are OK with the name as long as there are no trademark issues. Since
the projects operate within similar communities, I think having related
names are a plus, I would be more worried if they weren't related projects
at all.

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
> wrote:

> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 6:38 AM, Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io> wrote:
> > ...some of us within
> > the Apache Mesos community see it as a familiar pattern, following pesos
> > <https://github.com/wickman/pesos> (Python bindings for Mesos) and jesos
> > <https://github.com/groupon/jesos> (Java bindings for Mesos). But I can
> > imagine getting especially confused switching between MESOS-123 and
> > MYSOS-123...
>
> Good point, and I'm sure we can find other similar failure cases,
> having such confusing names for Apache projects is not a good idea
> IMO.
>
> -Bertrand

Cheers,

Chris Aniszczyk
http://aniszczyk.org
+1 512 961 6719

Re: [DISCUSS] Mysos Incubation proposal

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.
I am in favor of incubating Mysos, although I wonder if it might be better
incubated as a subproject of Mesos rather than its own top-level project.
I'm not yet familiar with all the intricacies of subprojects.

While I acknowledge the phonetic/typographic similarity, some of us within

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jiang Yan Xu <ya...@jxu.me>.

Jiang Yan Xu <ya...@jxu.me> | @xujyan <https://twitter.com/xujyan>

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.