Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net> on 2012/04/16 15:38:03 UTC

Trouble starting TC with jmxremote port set

I'm trying to configure things so I can monitor my TC server with
jconsole, and whenever I try to set the jmxremote port, the windows
service refuses to start.

System info (from Version.bat):

Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 5.5
Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 5.5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\temp

Using JRE_HOME:        C:\Program Files\Java\jre6
Using CLASSPATH:       C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\bin\bootstrap.jar

Server version: Apache Tomcat/5.5.28
Server built:   Jul 24 2009 01:33:09
Server number:  5.5.28.0
OS Name:        Windows Server 2008
OS Version:     6.0
Architecture:   amd64
JVM Version:    1.6.0_17-b04
JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.

When I add "-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote"  to my tomcat5w java
properties window, it works fine, but adding

-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=7999

causes the service to fail to start, as does using other ports.  I can
find nothing in any of the tomcat logs, nor in the windows event viewer
except one that says "The apache tomcat websiratest1a Service terminated
unexpectedly"

What should I be looking for here?  Is there something I'm missing in my
jmx setup?

Thanks!
Dave

Re: Trouble starting TC with jmxremote port set

Posted by Pid * <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 16 Apr 2012, at 14:40, David kerber <dc...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to configure things so I can monitor my TC server with jconsole, and whenever I try to set the jmxremote port, the windows service refuses to start.
>
> System info (from Version.bat):
>
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\temp
>
> Using JRE_HOME:        C:\Program Files\Java\jre6
> Using CLASSPATH:       C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\bin\bootstrap.jar
>
> Server version: Apache Tomcat/5.5.28
> Server built:   Jul 24 2009 01:33:09
> Server number:  5.5.28.0
> OS Name:        Windows Server 2008
> OS Version:     6.0
> Architecture:   amd64
> JVM Version:    1.6.0_17-b04
> JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.
>

> When I add "-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote"  to my tomcat5w java properties window, it works fine, but adding
>
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=7999

Try starting using startup.bat and see if you get a specific logged
error message.

Does the service have a stderr & stdout log configured?

Also: use VisualVM with MBeans plugin & Memory Pools plugin #protip