Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Mike Y <ke...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/26 22:52:06 UTC

very simple problem... how to post data to an HttpConnection...

As you might guess from the subject, I'm new here.
�
I'm attempting to use the 2.0.2 version of this
project to create a connection, post data to it, and
read the results, or at least get a Stream of output
that I can pass someplace else.
�
I've been reading the Javadocs and tutorials for the
last hour at least, the tutorials seem to reference an
HttpMethod class which can't actually be found in the
Javadocs or distribution.�
�
So, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.� I have:

1. String postRequest = " ... ";�
2. HttpConnection c = new HttpConnection
("http://somesite/somedynamicpage.asp", 80);
3. c.setConnectionTimeout(someTimeoutValue);

4. --- Need to post my request to my connection --

return c.getResponseInputStream();

I would greatly appreciate any help here.  I hope this
is not a stupid question.  I saw and read the docs on
the PostMethod, but it's not clear to me how this
class interacts with HttpConnection.  This is likely
the result of my own mental deficiencies.

For what it is worth, the tutorial I was looking at
was here:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/httpclient/src/examples/Attic/CustomHttpConnection.java?only_with_tag=HTTPCLIENT_2_0_BRANCH&view=markup).

--Mike

Re: very simple problem... how to post data to an HttpConnection...

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Mike,
In fact, we strongly discourage the direct use of HttpConnection class.
The preferred way is to let the connection manager take care of the HTTP
connection business. Unless you have a real reason to use HttpConnection
class directly, I'd recommend that you use HttpClient instead

Something like that:
HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
PostMethod httppost = new PostMethod("http://www.whatever.com");

File file = new File(args[0]);
httppost.setRequestBody(new FileInputStream(file));
httppost.setRequestContentLength((int)file.length());

try {
  client.executeMethod(httppost);
  if (httppost.getStatusCode() != HttpStatus.SC_OK) {
    System.out.println("Unexpected failure: " + httppost.getStatusLine());
  }
  System.out.println(httppost.getResponseBodyAsString());
} finally {
  httppost.releaseConnection();
}

BTW, you are the first ever user to post to the httplclient-user list

;-)

Cheers,

Oleg

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Hi Mike,

In addition to Oleg's comments I would recommend taking a look at the
HttpClient tutorial
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/tutorial.html>.

Mike