Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Korbinian Bachl <ko...@whiskyworld.de> on 2021/10/12 08:39:28 UTC

JCR 2.0 / Oak

Hi,

so I dont know but can anyone please tell me what the kind of state of OAK and Jackrabbit2 is supposed to be?

I tried to use Jackrabbit 2 as a replacement for our ModeShape jcr repo but since Jackrabbit2 includes Lucene 3.x (2012!) in its JAR its not that easy. So I was led to OAK as its successor and it reads nice... till you start.

1.st to start you need in your pom.xml beside "oak-jcr" and "oak-segment-tar" a magic "metrics-core" from "io.dropwizard.metrics" to let it even start...?

2nd. when you finally start it and let it run you are greeted by a nice exception in case you expect JCR compliance:

> Caused by: javax.jcr.UnsupportedRepositoryOperationException: OAK-118: Workspace.createWorkspace

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-118  - this is from May 2012 (!) still existing in 2021 and its even a part of JCR 2.0 spec!

https://www.adobe.io/experience-manager/reference-materials/spec/jcr/2.0/index.html ->
https://www.adobe.io/experience-manager/reference-materials/spec/jcr/2.0/13_Workspace_Management.html

What is the point of having JCR with beeing limited to a single workspace?

I'm just speechless...

Re: JCR 2.0 / Oak

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi

Jackrabbit 2.x is the official reference implementation of JSR 170 and JSR 283 (see https://jackrabbit.apache.org/jcr/index.html).

Oak is a complete rewrite with focus on scalability but doesn't aim to be a comprehensive, feature complete reference implementation (https://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/index.html). See https://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/differences.html for a list of known differences, which resulted both from design decisions as well as an evaluation on what we found was the critical set of features.

As far as workspaces are concerned: Oak comes with a single default workspace (https://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/differences.html#Workspaces).

Kind regards
Angela