Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by Robert Zimmermann <rz...@webde-ag.de> on 2004/03/01 12:29:41 UTC

Precompiled Stylesheets Memory-Usage during Runtime

Hello,

I do not know the entire Xalan-C API, so I hope someone can help me here:

Is there a way to get information - during run-time - about memory-usage of
precompiled stylesheets?

Our application uses precompiled stylesheets a lot.
Some instances of them run into memory problems, not only but as a
consequence of extensive, sometimes mindless precompiling of any stylesheet.

The knowledge of memory consumption per stylesheet would help a lot to
improve the runtime behavior of our applications.

thanks in advance,
 Robert

Robert Zimmermann
Softwaredevelopment
WEB.DE AG
http://ComWin.name/rz@webde-ag.de

Re: Precompiled Stylesheets Memory-Usage during Runtime

Posted by Holger Flörke <fl...@doctronic.de>.
Hi Robert,

> I do not know the entire Xalan-C API, so I hope someone can help me here:
>
> Is there a way to get information - during run-time - about memory-usage of
> precompiled stylesheets?
>
> Our application uses precompiled stylesheets a lot.
> Some instances of them run into memory problems, not only but as a
> consequence of extensive, sometimes mindless precompiling of any stylesheet.
>
> The knowledge of memory consumption per stylesheet would help a lot to
> improve the runtime behavior of our applications.

I do not know any Xalan-C function to retrieve the memory usage of a
compiled stylesheet, but we had a similar problem. We decided to use
Xalan-C 1.7 (be careful because of bugs in Xerces-C 2.4) to reduce the
runtime memory usage. Our application uses one "big" (~110kB) compiled
stylesheet and the new Xalan-C saves 5-10MB (measured with the taskmgr ;^)
compared to Xalan-C 1.3.

HolgeR
--
holger floerke                      d  o  c  t  r  o  n  i  c
email floerke@doctronic.de          information publishing + retrieval