Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by orahi001 <tu...@yahoo.com> on 2009/05/12 23:26:03 UTC

tomcat close_wait state and proxy error when connecting to my web application

Hi,

I have apache web server running on one box as a proxy server
tomcat running on another box.

The apache server connects to application server (tomcat) via proxy passthru
parameter. The server running tomcat was recently rebooted.  When it came
back up I started tomcat but I can no longer connect to my web application
over http.  I'm getting a proxy error in my browser window: error reading
from the remote server.  The apache log shows the same message.

On the server running tomcat, netstat -a shows the port running tomcat
changes to a state of close_wait.

however, if I telnet to the port (8980) from the server running apache I can
connect and the port shows a state of established.

Any ideas as to why I can no longer reach my web application?
Whats causing this close_wait state?

thanks,

Re: tomcat close_wait state and proxy error when connecting to my web application

Posted by orahi001 <tu...@yahoo.com>.

Rainer Jung-3 wrote:

> On 12.05.2009 23:26, orahi001 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have apache web server running on one box as a proxy server
>> tomcat running on another box.
>>
>> The apache server connects to application server (tomcat) via proxy
>> passthru
>> parameter. The server running tomcat was recently rebooted.  When it came
>> back up I started tomcat but I can no longer connect to my web
>> application
>> over http.  I'm getting a proxy error in my browser window: error reading
>> from the remote server.  The apache log shows the same message.
>>
>> On the server running tomcat, netstat -a shows the port running tomcat
>> changes to a state of close_wait.
>>
>> however, if I telnet to the port (8980) from the server running apache I
>> can
>> connect and the port shows a state of established.
>>
>> Any ideas as to why I can no longer reach my web application?
>> Whats causing this close_wait state?
>
> CLOSE_WAIT is when the remote side of a connection closed it.
>
> It seems your proxy tries to reuse an existing connection tha doesn't
> work any more. So have a look at how to configure the proxy connection
> pools, using timeouts etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rainer

Hi Rainer,

thanks for the reply,

I don't understand how the proxy connection would have changed.  Nothing has
changed in the config files.  I added the following in the httpd config file
and also increased the timeout in the tomcat config file.

SetEnv force-proxy-request-1.0 1
SetEnv proxy-nokeepalive 1

Still seeing the same results

Re: tomcat close_wait state and proxy error when connecting to my web application

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.