Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 1998/08/07 18:41:01 UTC

Updates to the status module

I'm looking into increasing the amount of valuable data available
from the status module but when STATUS is not used. I've noticed that
there are 2 places where ap_update_child_status is only called if
STATUS is defined but the reasons are unclear: one is during DNS
lookups and the other during logging of the request. I think that
knowing when processes are in this state is worthwhile even if
STATUS is not defined, as well as the fact that the overhead in doing
ap_update_child_status (again, with STATUS not defined) should be
minimal when one considers that DNS and logging are expensive anyway.

Unless anyone complains, or sees something I don't, I'll allow
ap_update_child_status even without STATUS (I won't much around with
other things like the ap_time_process_request, which doesn'tt make
sense w/o STATUS)

Re: Updates to the status module

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
It would be really nice if you could make the STATUS stuff config-time
selectable... have a global, which is controlled by a directive in
mod_status, default it to off... so that when there's no mod_status loaded
you don't waste the cycles.  And mod_status can default it to on in its
init function.

This would really help the folks doing distributions.

Dean