Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Witbeck, Shane" <Sh...@bankofamerica.com> on 2003/05/02 16:20:43 UTC

tiles and struts-config.xml reload workaround?

I have just started an effort to standardize my team's development
practices. I am using Ant and WebLogic for development and have hot
deployment working so that additions/changes to servlets and jsps are picked
up without restarting the app or the container.

I have found 2 issues with Tiles and Struts:

1. Each time I recompile a project I have to manually perform a tiles reload
or else there is a NPE:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.apache.struts.tiles.definition.ComponentDefinitionsFactoryWrapper.getDef
inition(ComponentDefinitionsFactoryWrapper.java:119)
	at
org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.processTilesDefinition(TilesRe
questProcessor.java:181)
	at
org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor.processForwardConfig(TilesRequ
estProcessor.java:303)
	at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionForward(RequestProces
sor.java:401)
	at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:279)
	at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1420)

Once I reload the tiles using the
org.apache.struts.tiles.actions.ReloadDefinitionsAction class, everthing is
fine.

2. Any changes made to struts-config.xml are not picked up unless I restart
the container (WebLogic in this case).

I know there has been previous posts related to the struts-config issue and
I was wondering if there are any workarounds available for either of these
issues specifically when developing with WebLogic? Ideally, I would like to
be able to run an Ant target and have all changes (struts-config and tiles)
picked up without any additional steps.

If there hasn't been a workaround for these problems already I think it
would be of great value to all Struts developers to be able to develop apps
without restarting the app/container for every change to the
struts-config.xml.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane Witbeck