Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2013/03/01 09:20:22 UTC

Re: [BeanUtils] Next release 1.8.4 or 1.9?

Hi Oliver,

2013/2/28 Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>

> Hi,
>
> Am 28.02.2013 14:28, schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
>
>  2013/2/23 Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I just wanted to start a discussion whether we should push out a bugfix
>>> release or start to work on new features right away and release a 1.9
>>> (including bug fixes of course ;-)
>>>
>>> Benedikt
>>>

>> I have looked through a lot of issues in the meantime. There are currently
>> at least 11 bugs that could be fixed in 1.8.4. So IMHO it makes sense to
>> push out a 1.8.4 and start working on new features afterwards.
>> I'd like to hear Olivers thoughts about this, as I think he needs new
>> features for the next [configuration] release.
>>

> I started working on a patch for BEANUTILS-425, so I hope to get this in
> in near future. This is what I would need for a new [configuration]
> release. However, before this can happen, there are lots of things to do.
> So no need to hurry.

Didn't know that you're already working on that. Can you assign the issue
to yourself?

> That said, I think it is a valid option to skip the maintenance release
> and go directly to the feature release, even if this takes a little longer.
> (The last release was long ago, so a few weeks/months do not make a
> difference.)
>
> But if you have free time available and want to go ahead, just do it.

No, you're probably right, a few month more make no difference and I'd
really like to work on BEANUTILS-406 [1]. I don't know which impact the
decision to do a 1.9 next has on Jira (fix versions etc.). Can you do the
necessary changes?

Benedikt

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-406

>>> http://www.systemoutprintln.**de/ <http://www.systemoutprintln.de/>
>>> http://twitter.com/**BenediktRitter <http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter>

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
2013/3/1 Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>

> Am 01.03.2013 09:20, schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
>
>  Hi Oliver,
>>

>> 2013/2/28 Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>
>>
>>  Hi,

>>> I started working on a patch for BEANUTILS-425, so I hope to get this in
>>> in near future. This is what I would need for a new [configuration]
>>> release. However, before this can happen, there are lots of things to do.
>>> So no need to hurry.
>>>

>>>  Didn't know that you're already working on that. Can you assign the
>> issue
>> to yourself?
>>

>>  That said, I think it is a valid option to skip the maintenance release
>>> and go directly to the feature release, even if this takes a little
>>> longer.
>>> (The last release was long ago, so a few weeks/months do not make a
>>> difference.)
>>>
>>> But if you have free time available and want to go ahead, just do it.
>>>

>> No, you're probably right, a few month more make no difference and I'd
>> really like to work on BEANUTILS-406 [1]. I don't know which impact the
>> decision to do a 1.9 next has on Jira (fix versions etc.). Can you do the
>> necessary changes?
>>
> I think until we make a final decision and start with release preparations
> there is no need to update Jira properties. When time comes, it is possible
> to do some batch updates to change fix versions for all affected issues.

Sounds reasonable.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.