Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> on 2005/02/25 02:04:53 UTC

Re: [VFS] test cases using embeded server - was Moving out the sandbox ?

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 18:13 +0100, Ahmed Mohombe wrote:
>   > http://sourceforge.net/projects/sshtools: sftp
> > LGPL - though I dont know a bit about this library and dont know if I
> > would have success with it. Again, if one knows another package ...
> I'm using sshtools and it's simply good.
> I'm using the client as well as the daemon. The client is much simpler
> to use than the JCraft/JSync. I would even suggest to change VFS's Sftp
> use of JSync to sshtools/j2ssh.

I've also used sshtools, but would *not* recommend using it, and
certainly not recommend migrating to it from any current package.

The sshtools project was originally released as open-source, but the
main developers/maintainers then essentially abandoned the open-source
version, and took the code private (see 3sp.com). In particular, new
releases of the library that implements the ssh protocol can be found
here:
 http://3sp.com/showMaverick.do

The last cvs commit to the sshtools sourceforge project occurred on 26th
of November 2003 according to the "sshtools-cvs" mailing list on the
sourceforge site.

While the last open-source release is reasonably stable, there are still
bugs and missing pieces of functionality. I can't remember off-hand what
they are now, but I did use sshtools quite extensively on a project a
few years ago. It was, at the time, the best alternative but is
definitely neither complete nor maintained.

Please note that I don't mean any criticism of the 3sp (formerly
sshtools) coders. They have every right to sell their code if they want.
And they still *do* nicely release some code as open-source; just not
the base ssh protocol implementation.

In addition, the LGPL license is not currently regarded as being
compatible with the Apache ASF license; no LGPL code can be referenced
directly from any apache jakarta project.

Regards,

Simon

Re: [VFS] test cases using embeded server - was Moving out the sandbox ?

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com>.
Paul Smith wrote:

>> Is there an Official Apache explanation for treating the LGPL like the
>> boogeyman?  URL?  This is all just silly!!!  I can understand not
>> using GPL
>> libraries, but LGPL does not impose any requirements on code using it
>> (for
>> Java, at least).  Don't believe me?  As the FSF yourself.  We had a long
>> discussion with them before choosing the LGPL for the BarracudaMVC
>> project on
>> ObjectWeb.
>>

> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/Using_20LGPL_27d_20code
>
> Maybe one day it'll get sorted out, but it seems that LGPL is a no-no
> for Apache projects for now.  I hope it's resolved RSN.

I was considering looking at getting NFS support by incorporating the
WebNFS library from Sun.  Since log4j uses Java Maili and Java
Activation Framework also from Sun, would this be feasible?

--
  Thorbjørn

Re: [VFS] test cases using embeded server - was Moving out the sandbox ?

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/Using_20LGPL_27d_20code
>
> Maybe one day it'll get sorted out, but it seems that LGPL is a no-no
> for Apache projects for now.  I hope it's resolved RSN.
Sorry, but I thing this is all .... :).
We are programmers, not lawyers, and lawyers have nothing to search
here. I consider them to be the most subtle form of social parasitism. A
lot of politicians are lawyers too, so they just make their own lobby
and world.
All these "license agreements" have in Europe(Germany at least) no legal
value (even if some lawyers try to make something out of it).
It's just nonsense. IMHO there are only 2 possibilities(boolean): got
the source or not. Everything else is time wasting lawyer like nonsense.

Ahmed.

--
Life is too short to waste it with applesauce!

Re: [VFS] test cases using embeded server - was Moving out the sandbox ?

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@apache.org>.
>Is there an Official Apache explanation for treating the LGPL like the
>boogeyman?  URL?  This is all just silly!!!  I can understand not using GPL
>libraries, but LGPL does not impose any requirements on code using it (for
>Java, at least).  Don't believe me?  As the FSF yourself.  We had a long
>discussion with them before choosing the LGPL for the BarracudaMVC project on
>ObjectWeb.

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/Using_20LGPL_27d_20code

Maybe one day it'll get sorted out, but it seems that LGPL is a no-no
for Apache projects for now.  I hope it's resolved RSN.

Paul Smith

Re: [VFS] test cases using embeded server - was Moving out the sandbox ?

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Quoting Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>:

> Mario Ivankovits wrote:
>
> > I am aware about this limitation.
> > But does this really mean I cant use the sshd daemon to embed into VFS
> > tests? I mean VFS still isnt based on sshtools just uses their daemon
> > for its tests.
>
> What if I "outsource" the startup-code for the sshd daemon to an
> external library and use reflection to see if I can startup the daemon?
> This library could be hosted on sourceforge or on my own site.
> The question is about the license of this library - It cant be LGPL ;-)
> i know, but can it be the Apache license. Or is there any other "glue"
> license I could use.

Is there an Official Apache explanation for treating the LGPL like the
boogeyman?  URL?  This is all just silly!!!  I can understand not using GPL
libraries, but LGPL does not impose any requirements on code using it (for
Java, at least).  Don't believe me?  As the FSF yourself.  We had a long
discussion with them before choosing the LGPL for the BarracudaMVC project on
ObjectWeb.

Jake

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Simon Kitching wrote:

>I've also used sshtools, but would *not* recommend using it, and
>certainly not recommend migrating to it from any current package.

Never change a running system ;-)
jsch works well enough for me and maybe for many other VFS users.