Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by "David S." <da...@solder.ath.cx> on 2009/11/18 00:59:31 UTC

Re: Could not load a transcoding service - Linux

Paul Leeming wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to use Xerces on a Set Top Box development kit, running
> Linux. I have tested the code on an Linux PC and it works fine. However,
> when I try to run it on my target device the
> XMLPlatformUtils::Initialize() it fails with "Could not load a transcoding
> service".
>
> The Xerces code is compiled with --enable-transcoder-gnuiconv, and I have
> also tried -iconv and -icu but the code will not build as it seems these
> are not available on my system.
>
> Using a debugger, the problem seems to be when calling
>
> XMLPlatformUtils::Initialize()
> {
>
>  which calls
>
>   XMLPlatformUtils::makeTransService()
>

>  which then calls
>
>       tc = new IconvGNUTransService(fgMemoryManager);
>
>  This fails in the constructor, in the overloaded new operator of XMemory
>

> I have also cross compiled one of the examples which came with Xerces, and
> this fails in the same way.
>
> Has anyone had a similar problem, or have any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Paul

GNU iconv needs files from /usr/lib/gconv in order to work with Xerces. Is
the directory present on your target system?

Re: Could not load a transcoding service - Linux

Posted by DMJ1 <dj...@affirmednetworks.com>.
Thanks for the reply. We got around it temporarily using LANG=en_US.UTF8.
This seems to be working. I also figured that the applications were built
for xcerces 3.1 but the target machine has xcerces 2.8. I am wondering
whether this has any bearing on the issue I am seeing.

Posted by "David S." <da...@solder.ath.cx>.

Posted by DMJ1 <dj...@affirmednetworks.com>.