Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Rainer Scherg <Ra...@rexroth.de> on 1997/08/07 14:40:03 UTC

mod_proxy/974: ProxyRemote: "Could not connect to remote machine"

>Number:         974
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       ProxyRemote: "Could not connect to remote machine"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Accessing a URL from an intranet via a ProxyRemote *sometimes* results in:

>>Proxy Error
>>
>>The proxy server could not handle this request.
>>
>>Reason: Could not connect to remote machine

Errorlog shows [because of the firewall/remote Proxy]:
>>[Fri Aug  1 16:52:11 1997] connect: Network is unreachable

A trace of the local network traffic [snoop] shows, that the apache server
wants to connect to the requested host **directly** and not via the remote
proxy (firewall). The requested URLs can be accessed [?], after killing and
restarting the httpd.

Could this problem related to #PR510?

One word to our configuration - it looks like:
>ProxyRequests On
>ProxyDomain     .rexroth.de
>NoProxy         [some full qualified intranet ip-adresses, no netmasks]
>NoProxy         .rexroth.de
>NoProxy         mpoint.mannesmann.de
# Firewall
>ProxyRemote     *  http://proxy1.mannesmann.de:8080

Full DNS name resolution is on the apache server available.

www.sun.com
www.altavista.telia.com