Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by Chinmay Kolhatkar <ch...@datatorrent.com> on 2016/02/10 07:37:26 UTC

Adding mailing lists to mail-to-news gateways like Gmane

Dear Community,

In the interest of having better community reach and better search engine
indexing, should we add this and users@apex mailing list to Gmane?

Gmane is a mailing list archive which takes any public mailing list and
converts it into a news channel for better reach and indexing.
It also allows one to post the messages on mailing list (can be disabled
while adding).
I see a lot of Apache projects being part of it.

Here is the information about Gmane: http://gmane.org/about.php

Should we add apex mailing lists (dev, users) to gmane?

Thanks,
Chinmay.

Re: Adding mailing lists to mail-to-news gateways like Gmane

Posted by Chinmay Kolhatkar <ch...@apache.org>.
I can see both nabble and Gmane consuming the emails from mailing lists.

Posted by Chinmay Kolhatkar <ch...@apache.org>.
For the starter, I see the email address being registered as bhupeshchawda <
git@git.apache.org>.

I've posted a query to nabble support forum about this.

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@datatorrent.com>.
Chinmay,

Posted by Chinmay Kolhatkar <ch...@apache.org>.
That's a great suggestion.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Chinmay Kolhatkar <ch...@apache.org>.
Thanks Justin.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Chinmay Kolhatkar <ch...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

dev@apex and users@apex are added to Gmane.org.
List of dev@apex is created and is searchable and is getting indexed as the
mails flow.
For users the list will get created with first message arriving.

I tried to do the same for nabble. I could not achieve it.
Justin, can you please provide me with some pointers how we can add the
mailing lists to nabble as well?

Thanks,
Chinmay.

Posted by Chinmay Kolhatkar <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
Chinmay,

How will gmane get the mail from dev and users, would you add a
subscription for gmane to these groups?

Thanks

Posted by Chinmay Kolhatkar <ch...@datatorrent.com>.
Thanks for all the feedback.