Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> on 2010/09/13 21:22:24 UTC

Web site updated

Hi team,

In preparation for our upcoming Apache top-level project graduation
and our 1.1 release, I finally got around to updating the website.

After fighting many hours with confluence to play nicely with the new
site template, the site has been updated with the Apache Shiro logo
contest winner [1] and and  associated theme.  I've tested it in the
latest versions of the major 4 browsers, IE 8, Opera 10.62, Firefox
3.6 and Chrome 6, so things should work nicely for the majority of our
visitors.

Two notes of thanks:  to the Cassandra team for writing the 'download'
box on the upper-right corner of the home page that we graciously
borrowed, and to the Apache Directory team for one of their CSS files
that I used to support Confluence styling (code boxes, note/warn/tip
panels, etc).  Everything else can solely be blamed on me.

Please check it out:

http://incubator.apache.org/shiro

Cheers,

Les

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO-171

Re: Web site updated

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Make that 3 notes of thanks - the 3rd to Alex Salazar for creating the
new home page layout.

This was a big deal because the old home page was densely packed with
information and hit you in the face with a somewhat overbearing
architectural diagram, all of which made for unfriendly 'first time'
user experience.  Alex's clean-up makes the site much more
approachable now.  He gave me a wireframe and I tried to implement it
as best as I could.  Thanks Alex!

Les

Re: Web site updated

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Les,

On Sep 13, 2010, at 6:51 PM, Les Hazlewood wrote:

> My understanding is that you must use the infra system for ASF
> releases.  The links to .jar files along side the maven snippets do
> not represent ASF releases - they're only there as a convenience.
>
> I do have a question though.  When looking at Cassandra's download
> stuff this weekend, I noticed that you are directed to mirror page:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi?path=/cassandra/0.6.5/apache-cassandra-0.6.5-bin.tar.gz

This is the preferred approach. Publishing releases directly from
Apache's site is marginally ok for incubating releases but TLP
releases really should allow mirrors.

> Currently Shiro's release comes from
> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/shiro/shiro-root-1.0.0-incubating-source-release.zip
>
> That is, we're not using the closer.cgi script.  What is preferred?

closer.cgi

> Why does the ASF have two distribution mechanisms?

You are kidding, right? There are at least two ways to do everything
at ASF...

Craig

>>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com

Re: Web site updated