Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Brosnan, Michael" <mi...@fmr.com> on 2008/07/02 11:16:29 UTC

JDK 1.4 EOL date is October

The date for JDK 1.4 bing EOL is October 2008, see
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/

Are there plans in place to update the commons apache components to build
with JDK 1.5 instead?

Regards

Mike Brosnan

Re: JDK 1.4 EOL date is October

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
You should keep in mind that the EOL date is only if you don't have paid
support from Sun. If you do, Java 1.4 is supported for a long, long
time. Also, Java 1.5 EOL isn't all that far away.

Re: JDK 1.4 EOL date is October

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 02/07/2008, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Brosnan, Michael
>  <mi...@fmr.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > The date for JDK 1.4 bing EOL is October 2008, see
>  > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/
>  >
>  > Are there plans in place to update the commons apache components to build
>  > with JDK 1.5 instead?
>

> Its being done on a component-bycomponent basis. The following list
>  may not be complete, but this is the state-of-play that I know of:
>
>  1) Collections - has had a JDK 1.5 branch for quite some time, not
>  very active atm
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/collections/branches/collections_jdk5_branch/
>
>  2) Configuration - Version 2.0 branch requires JDK 1.5:
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/branches/configuration2_experimental/
>
>  3) IO - last release (1.4) was JDK 1.4 compatible, but the current
>  trunk (and the next release, probably 2.0) now requires JDK 1.5
>
>  4) Lang - discussed recently on the dev list:
>  http://markmail.org/message/k36vrkgupiewg3qx
>
>  5) Math - Version 2.0 branch requires JDK 1.5:
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/branches/MATH_2_0/
>
>  6) Net - Version 2.0 branch requires JDK 1.5:
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/net/branches/NET_2_0/
>
>  7) SCXML - J6 branch requires JDK 1.6
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/scxml/branches/J6/

However, some components are likely to remain on 1.4 (or earlier) -
for example Commons Logging. They will still run on Java 1.5+, and
should still compile on 1.5+ (if not, please raise a JIRA issue).

Re: JDK 1.4 EOL date is October

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 7/2/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Brosnan, Michael
>  <mi...@fmr.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > The date for JDK 1.4 bing EOL is October 2008, see
>  > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/
>  >
>  > Are there plans in place to update the commons apache components to build
>  > with JDK 1.5 instead?
>

> Its being done on a component-bycomponent basis. The following list
>  may not be complete, but this is the state-of-play that I know of:
>
>  1) Collections - has had a JDK 1.5 branch for quite some time, not
>  very active atm
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/collections/branches/collections_jdk5_branch/
>
>  2) Configuration - Version 2.0 branch requires JDK 1.5:
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/branches/configuration2_experimental/
>
>  3) IO - last release (1.4) was JDK 1.4 compatible, but the current
>  trunk (and the next release, probably 2.0) now requires JDK 1.5
>
>  4) Lang - discussed recently on the dev list:
>  http://markmail.org/message/k36vrkgupiewg3qx
>
>  5) Math - Version 2.0 branch requires JDK 1.5:
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/branches/MATH_2_0/
>
>  6) Net - Version 2.0 branch requires JDK 1.5:
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/net/branches/NET_2_0/
>
>  7) SCXML - J6 branch requires JDK 1.6
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/scxml/branches/J6/

<snip/>

Thanks for producing the list :-)

And ofcourse, if anyone is interested in a moving a particular
component to 1.5+, please hop on to the Commons dev list, and start
the discussion over there.

-Rahul

Re: JDK 1.4 EOL date is October

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.