Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Nitty <re...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/02 21:11:58 UTC

Newbie to Content Management - General Question

I am a seasoned enterprise java programmer working for financial firm and
newbie to the world of content management.

We have a project that requires documents CRUD along with versioning, it is
a J2EE web-based application and will be used by people both inside and
outside the firm for publishing documents.

Instead of developing a home grown solution I was looking to open source
(**non too invasive) solution and found that there are several out there.

I was wondering if I could use Lenya for my requirement, if yes - where I
can find more info like tutorials, knowledge base forums etc.

Thanks,

Nitty

Re: Newbie to Content Management - General Question

Posted by Nitty <re...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Thank you for the quick response.

At this point our requirement is the user should be a able to CRU documents
and maintain version history (the D in the CRUD would be a soft delete since
we need to maintain history), just like a source control repository.

After the user commit the changes (publishes) the document it should be
available to external vendors outside the firm through a web based
application.

The documents will be in thousands if not hundreds of thousands.

Based your description below Lenya is a great choice for web content
management and our requirement is more on document management.

Thanks again for your pointers to look into Jackrabbit and Sling.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi André,

Florent André schrieb:
>> Another question is the amount of documents you want to manage. Lenya is
>> targeted for websites, so typical installations contain a couple of
>> thousand documents. If you need to store hundreds of thousands or even
>> millions of documents, you'd have to use a custom repository with Lenya
>> (e.g., a JCR-based one), which will require quite a lot of customization
>> work.
>>

> I have a trouble remember : It seems to me that I see a way (in
> cocoon.xconf or lenya.xmap (a trouble remember i said !: )) to configure a
> jcr repository... I dreamed or not ?

you didn't :)
We once started a JCR integration, but it is not feature-complete and
has not been tested in production.

> What kind of "customization" we have to do for enable a jcr repository ?

Basically you'd have to implement a custom NodeFactory and the related
classes.

> Is it documented ?

What do you mean here? JCR is documented (you can download the complete
spec), the customization for Lenya is not documented.

> Stable ?

The stability of the JCR repository depends on the particular
implementation. The Lenya integration is not stable.

> howww ! I heard a beer cry ! It's time to do some arm muscle building ! :)

:)

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Newbie to Content Management - General Question

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.
Hi lenya addicts :)

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 21:30:28 +0100, Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>
wrote:
> Hi Nitty,
>
> Nitty schrieb:
>
> Another question is the amount of documents you want to manage. Lenya is
> targeted for websites, so typical installations contain a couple of
> thousand documents. If you need to store hundreds of thousands or even
> millions of documents, you'd have to use a custom repository with Lenya
> (e.g., a JCR-based one), which will require quite a lot of customization
> work.

I have a trouble remember : It seems to me that I see a way (in
cocoon.xconf or lenya.xmap (a trouble remember i said !: )) to configure a
jcr repository... I dreamed or not ?

What kind of "customization" we have to do for enable a jcr repository ? Is
it documented ? Stable ?

Thanks for your answer.

howww ! I heard a beer cry ! It's time to do some arm muscle building ! :)
See you soon

Re: Newbie to Content Management - General Question

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Nitty,