Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Saminda Abeyruwan <sa...@opensource.lk> on 2006/12/20 12:12:14 UTC

URL Encoding

Hi,

We have a (WSDL2.0) complaint URL

 http://localhost:8081/axis2/services/ProbeSpaceService.PathsEndpoint?constructReference/datespace/2006/11/18/16:10:00.000Z-19:30:42.000Z.html

to send. But HttpClient gives me the following exception;

org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: invalid port number; nested exception is:
   org.apache.commons.httpclient.URIException: invalid port number;
nested exception is:
   org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: invalid port number; nested exception is:
   org.apache.commons.httpclient.URIException: invalid port number
   at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.CommonsHTTPTransportSender.invoke(CommonsHTTPTransportSender.java:225)
   at org.apache.axis2.engine.AxisEngine.send(AxisEngine.java:497)
   at
org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.send(OutInAxisOperation.java:365)
   at
org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.execute(OutInAxisOperation.java:295)
   at
org.example.pathsEndpoint.ProbeSpaceServiceStub.constructReference(ProbeSpaceServiceStub.java:164)
   at pathsEndpoint.PathsEndpointClient.main(PathsEndpointClient.java:30)
Caused by: org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: invalid port number; nested
exception is:
   org.apache.commons.httpclient.URIException: invalid port number
   at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.CommonsHTTPTransportSender.writeMessageWithCommons(CommonsHTTPTransportSender.java:338)
   at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.CommonsHTTPTransportSender.invoke(CommonsHTTPTransportSender.java:205)
   ... 5 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.httpclient.URIException: invalid port number
   at org.apache.commons.httpclient.URI.parseAuthority(URI.java:2225)
   at org.apache.commons.httpclient.URI.parseUriReference(URI.java:1968)
   at org.apache.commons.httpclient.URI.<init>(URI.java:165)
   at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.getURI(HttpMethodBase.java:261)
   at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:382)
   at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:346)
   at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.AbstractHTTPSender.executeMethod(AbstractHTTPSender.java:534)
   at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.SOAPOverHTTPSender.send(SOAPOverHTTPSender.java:174)
   at
org.apache.axis2.transport.http.CommonsHTTPTransportSender.writeMessageWithCommons(CommonsHTTPTransportSender.java:334)

   ... 6 more

This is due to the "6:10:00.000Z-19:30:42.000Z.html" part in the URL.
Could you please give me a solution to escape these characters.

Thank you

Saminda

Re: URL Encoding

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
Actually, that URLEncode does is encode into
"application/x-www-form-urlencoded", which is not *exactly* URL
encoding. That's where the + sign comes from. In practice this doesn't
matter much, as you will be mostly encoding query string with this
logic. And those are parsed by exactly these semantics. If however you
have to encode a space character in the path part of the URL you MUST
use %20 and + is invalid there. I think neither URI nor URLCodec are
doing that correctly, really. And I doubt any server implementation is
doing that correctly either. In practice I'd say that + and %20 are
completely interchangeable. Maybe + being not specific to an encoding,
while %20 is.

Ortwin

--
[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/

Re: URL Encoding

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
Saminda,

Re: URL Encoding

Posted by Saminda Abeyruwan <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Re: URL Encoding

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
Hi Saminda,

Saminda Abeyruwan wrote:

> [...]
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:382)
>    at
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:346)
>    at
> org.apache.axis2.transport.http.AbstractHTTPSender.executeMethod(AbstractHTTPSender.java:534)
>    at
> org.apache.axis2.transport.http.SOAPOverHTTPSender.send(SOAPOverHTTPSender.java:174)
>    at
> org.apache.axis2.transport.http.CommonsHTTPTransportSender.writeMessageWithCommons(CommonsHTTPTransportSender.java:334)
>
>    ... 6 more
>
> This is due to the "6:10:00.000Z-19:30:42.000Z.html" part in the URL.
> Could you please give me a solution to escape these characters.

[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/
[pgp]  key 0x81CF3416