Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Gautam Deb <ga...@in2m.com> on 2007/04/30 10:36:11 UTC

Updating entities after OFBiz update

What is the best way to update the entities after an OFBiz update?

CURRENT SCENARIO - We are using OFBiz as the framework for our
application. We mainly use the the OFBiz apps Order Manager and Party
Manager. Apart from this we have some custom applications which
basically uses the Entity and Service engine. The OFBiz update process
for us is not so frequent. We update the OFBiz every 4 - 6 months. The
problem is that the OFBiz changes a lot in this duration. For the
changes in entities (to be precise any alteration in the entity) we
write manual SQLs and shoot them against the database.

Thanks & Regards,
Gautam Deb

Re: Updating entities after OFBiz update

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Hi Gautam,

Bring in OFBiz updates into a separate exploratory branch. Keep maintaining and evolving your
trunk. Over time, evolve your trunk to align more with OFBiz. With branches, you are not forced to
align disparate branches of development immediately.

There will be some areas where your trunk cannot reconcile with OFBiz updates, nor would you want
reconciliation there. Again, with SVN  techniques, you can keep those areas insulated during your
updates.

For the particular example with PartyGroup.federalTaxId, it could simply be a further
normalization of the database, a refinement. You should keep in step with the normalization, if
you can afford the time to do so. Most, if not all, updates to OFBiz are thought-out and correct.
But please still check before merging updates into your trunk.

Jonathon

Posted by Gautam Deb <ga...@in2m.com>.

Posted by "G.Venkata Phanindra" <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gautam Deb,