Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de> on 2005/06/01 22:01:22 UTC

compound file documentation

Hi,

can someone please check my changes to fileformats.xml regarding the
compound format? (not yet on the website, call "ant" in the "site"
directory to build the files locally).

Also, the javadoc in CompoundFileWriter claims that each directory entry
contains an "encoding identifier" -- this is not correct, or am I missing
something?

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: compound file documentation

Posted by Daniel Naber <na...@danielnaber.de>.
On Friday 03 June 2005 21:31, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Then maybe a sentence explaining how the file lengths are computed could
> be added instead?

Like this?: "FileData --> raw file data - the entries' length isn't
explicitly specified but can be calculated by taking the difference of
two consecutive DataOffsets"

Regards
 Daniel

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Friday 03 June 2005 19:02, Doug Cutting wrote:
>
>>FileLength[i]  ->
>>   (i==FileCount) ? DataOffset[i+1] : EOF) - DataOffset[n]
>

> Not sure if that really helps. At least I find it confusing, as neither the
> "?" operator nor the "EOF" occurs anywhere else in the document (actually
> the "?" does occur, but in its sense as "optional" (I think)).

Then maybe a sentence explaining how the file lengths are computed could
be added instead?

Doug

Re: compound file documentation

Posted by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Daniel Naber wrote:
> can someone please check my changes to fileformats.xml regarding the
> compound format? (not yet on the website, call "ant" in the "site"
> directory to build the files locally).

Looks good.

One improvement:  You could define FileData more formally as something like:

FileData[i] --> byte^FileLength[i]

FileLength[i]  ->
   (i==FileCount) ? DataOffset[i+1] : EOF) - DataOffset[n]

It would be simpler if the FileLength were explicitly included
somewhere, but I guess it's not.

Doug