Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/13 01:16:12 UTC

Migrating JCR-RMI to the JCR Commons subproject

Hi,

I started setting up the new JCR Commons subproject by using the
JCR-RMI component as the first example. Here are the steps I've taken
so far:

1) Create the JCRRMI project in Jira.
2) Migrate all open "jackrabbit-jcr-rmi" issues from JCR to JCRRMI.
3) Create the repos/asf/jackrabbit/commons/jcr-rmi directory in svn.
4) Copy trunk/jackrabbit-jcr-rmi to commons/jcr-rmi/trunk
5) Modify the JCR-RMI POM to work outside the main Jackrabbit build.

Here's what I still plan to do over the next few weeks/months:

6) Rename the org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi package to org.apache.jcr.rmi.
7) Prepare and release JCR-RMI 2.0.
8) Replace old jackrabbit-jcr-rmi with an external dependency to the
new 2.0 release of JCR-RMI.
9) Remove the jackrabbit-jcr-rmi component from the JCR project in Jira.

Feel free to comment or question any of these steps, I may well be
overlooking something or otherwise going in the wrong direction.

If this migration works well for JCR-RMI, we can replicate it with the
other JCR Commons components.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Migrating JCR-RMI to the JCR Commons subproject

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting schrieb:
>> Agreed. I tried doing that, but unfortunately the current JCR-RMI
>> trunk doesn't compile with jcr-commons 1.5.0 due to some recent
>> JSR-283 changes. We'll need to resolve that somehow.
>
> Ui ! I fear the rmi project is not really independent of Jackrabbit,
> since it supports the additional Jackrabbit API, hence the dependencies,
> probably.

Hmm, in fact it compiles and runs fine with jcr-commons 1.5.0, and
that's actually what I have as a dependency in the new JCR-RMI POM.

The 1.6-SNAPSHOT dependency is to the new JSR-283 -style
RepositoryFactory interface introduced in jackrabbit-api. JCR-RMI has
jackrabbit-api as an optional dependency so it can make
Jackrabbit-specific API extensions available remotely.

Perhaps we should remove the RepositoryFactory implementation in RMI
until the next release of jackrabbit-api is available.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.

Jukka Zitting schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Looks good so far. But I would also modify the jackrabbit projects to
>> refer to the latest released jcr-rmi artifact instead of to the
>> 1.6-SNAPSHOT one.
>
> I'd rather do that with JCR-RMI 2.0 released from JCR Commons (which I
> hope to do pretty soon once the dust settles), but I wouldn't mind
> going with 1.5.0 either.
>
>> Likewise I strongly suggest to revert to using the latest releases
>> jackrabbit-jcr-commons in the Jackrabbit project until jcr-commons 2.0
>> is released. And so forth for the rest of the new commons projects.
>
> Agreed. I tried doing that, but unfortunately the current JCR-RMI
> trunk doesn't compile with jcr-commons 1.5.0 due to some recent
> JSR-283 changes. We'll need to resolve that somehow.

Ui ! I fear the rmi project is not really independent of Jackrabbit,
since it supports the additional Jackrabbit API, hence the dependencies,
probably.

Regards
Felix

Re: Migrating JCR-RMI to the JCR Commons subproject

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Jukka Zitting schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I started setting up the new JCR Commons subproject by using the
> JCR-RMI component as the first example. Here are the steps I've taken
> so far:
>
> 1) Create the JCRRMI project in Jira.
> 2) Migrate all open "jackrabbit-jcr-rmi" issues from JCR to JCRRMI.
> 3) Create the repos/asf/jackrabbit/commons/jcr-rmi directory in svn.
> 4) Copy trunk/jackrabbit-jcr-rmi to commons/jcr-rmi/trunk
> 5) Modify the JCR-RMI POM to work outside the main Jackrabbit build.
>
> Here's what I still plan to do over the next few weeks/months:
>
> 6) Rename the org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi package to org.apache.jcr.rmi.
> 7) Prepare and release JCR-RMI 2.0.
> 8) Replace old jackrabbit-jcr-rmi with an external dependency to the
> new 2.0 release of JCR-RMI.
> 9) Remove the jackrabbit-jcr-rmi component from the JCR project in Jira.
>
> Feel free to comment or question any of these steps, I may well be
> overlooking something or otherwise going in the wrong direction.

Looks good so far. But I would also modify the jackrabbit projects to
refer to the latest released jcr-rmi artifact instead of to the
1.6-SNAPSHOT one.

This way we start with a well-known behaviour for the Jackrabbit itself
right away.