Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stéphane Nicoll <St...@bsb.com> on 2004/10/28 12:07:55 UTC

Dependencies and tagging

Hello list,

I am facing for a couple of months now a very annoying problem and I haven't found any solution so far. I have a hierarchical project's structure such as the following:

Project1
       Project2
       Project 3
              Project 4
              Project 5
       Project 6

Let's take Project4 as an example: Project 4 inherits from Project 3 which inherits itself from project1.

I want to make a release of project4 (release 1.2.3) and I want to make sure that I can't go back to that state at any point of time so I tag my project4's directory (project4_1_2_3) . My problem is I have to tag project.properties, project.xml and maven.xml from the Project3 and Project1 directories as well ...

As far as I can tell, there is no real solution to this problem. I have nasty side effects as well. Let's use the scm:checkout-project goal for instance: maven won't start because my parent's project is not checkouted at the same time.

I've hearded about maven entities and XML import but I will have to tag them as well anyway.

Is there any solution to this issue? Typically I don't want to tag my whole CVS everytime because other projects are completely unrelated and I would prefer to do it from the project's directory)

Regards,
Stéphane

Stéphane Nicoll
Business Solutions Builders
Place de l'Université 25/10
B-1348 Louvain-La-Neuve

Re: Dependencies and tagging

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
In Maven 1.1 onwards, inheritence will be possible by publishing a
project.xml to the repository instead of using the filesystem, which
should assist with this.

There unfortunately isn't any alternative at the moment than to tag
the other project.xml files.

Cheers,
Brett