Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Sa...@wellsfargo.com on 2016/01/15 15:28:46 UTC

jobs much slower in cluster mode vs local

Hello,

In general, I am usually able to run spark submit jobs in local mode, in a 32-cores node with plenty of memory ram. The performance is significantly faster in local mode than when using a cluster of spark workers.

How can this be explained and what measures can one take in order to improve such performance?
Usually a job that takes 35 seconds in local mode takes around 48 seconds in a small cluster.

Thanks,
Saif

RE: jobs much slower in cluster mode vs local

Posted by "Spencer, Alex (Santander)" <Al...@santander.co.uk.INVALID>.
That's not that much of a difference given the overhead of cluster management. I would have thought a job should take minutes before you'll see a performance improvement on using cluster mode?

Kind Regards,
Alex.

In general, I am usually able to run spark submit jobs in local mode, in a 32-cores node with plenty of memory ram. The performance is significantly faster in local mode than when using a cluster of spark workers.

How can this be explained and what measures can one take in order to improve such performance?
Usually a job that takes 35 seconds in local mode takes around 48 seconds in a small cluster.

Thanks,
Saif

RE: jobs much slower in cluster mode vs local

Posted by Sa...@wellsfargo.com.
Thank you, this looks useful indeed for what I have in mind.

Saif

Posted by Jiří Syrový <sy...@gmail.com>.
Hi,