Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by J Aaron Farr <ja...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/18 20:47:30 UTC

Leading Contributor?

I'm sorry if this hits any nerves, but I didn't know we singled out
leading contributors for our projects be they individuals,
organizations or companies.

The Software Developer "Jolt" awards [1] just came out from Software
Development Magazine and Tomcat made a "Productivity Winner" for the
web development tools section (congrats to the tomcat team!).
However, the listing in the press release is as follows:

  Tomcat 5.0 (The Apache Jakarta Project and leading Tomcat contributor JBoss)

What's up with that?

Okay, so maybe that's a mistake on SD Magazine's fault but JBoss lists
Tomcat as a project under it's menu sidebar [3]  and in it's "product"
listing [4] [5].  Most links go to Jakarta but it gives the distinct
impression that Tomcat is a JBoss project.

IMHO someone from the ASF needs to contact SD Magazine and request a correction.

--
  jaaron

[1] http://www.sdmagazine.com/pressroom/jolt_winners_2005.pdf
[2] http://www.sdmagazine.com/
[3] http://www.jboss.org/
[4] http://www.jboss.org/products/overview
[5] http://www.jboss.org/products/overview/tomcat

Re: Leading Contributor?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> I'm sorry if this hits any nerves, but I didn't know we singled out
> leading contributors for our projects be they individuals,
> organizations or companies.

Right.

> The Software Developer "Jolt" awards [1] just came out from Software
> Development Magazine and Tomcat made a "Productivity Winner" for the
> web development tools section (congrats to the tomcat team!).
> However, the listing in the press release is as follows:
>
>  Tomcat 5.0 (The Apache Jakarta Project and leading Tomcat contributor JBoss)
>
> What's up with that?

JBoss have been bouncing back and forth over the fine-line on how they
market their Tomcat support. Worth noting that other companies do the same
thing, Collabnet claim to be the only source of full commercial support
for Apache and Tomcat, though this is not harmful to us so much as a
downright piece of marketing bs.

The critical issue is that both JBoss and SD have referred to the product
as Tomcat and not as Apache Tomcat, which is the agreed upon naming for
the product.

There have been others, which the ASF have pointed out and as far as I can
tell they've been corrected on the JBoss site. For example their tomcat
page names it as Apache Jakarta Tomcat, which is fine.

> Okay, so maybe that's a mistake on SD Magazine's fault but JBoss lists

Yep. Partly our fault tbh, Tomcat is the biggest brand within the Jakarta
group, to the extent that many called it Jakarta when it first came out
and thought Tomcat was a version name. With the flattening of Jakarta,
the confusion has continued as to just what to call it. We need to
emphasise 'Apache Tomcat' on the Tomcat site, and it's one reason why
Tomcat as a TLP would be a very good thing.

> Tomcat as a project under it's menu sidebar [3] and in it's "product"
> listing [4] [5].  Most links go to Jakarta but it gives the distinct
> impression that Tomcat is a JBoss project.

Yep, I think the only major request we can have here is that it be called
Apache Tomcat and not just Tomcat. The 'leading Tomcat contributor' is
just plain wrong, someone has been listening to JBoss press releases. As
far as I know, JBoss as a company is not a contributor to the ASF, it
merely employs some people who happen to be. So we don't even have to
focus on the 'leading' as an issue, JBoss fail the 'contributor' too.

> IMHO someone from the ASF needs to contact SD Magazine and request a
> correction.

I'll take it to the board/prc and ask how they'd like to handle such a
contact.

Hen