Posted to dev@rya.apache.org by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> on 2018/09/17 23:47:04 UTC

Graduation

When is it going to happen? IMO, you've been ready for a long time now :)

Re: Graduation

Posted by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu>.
Hi Rya devs,

I wanted to send an update with the status of steps towards graduation [1]
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RYA-502>.
-We completed the name search, and "Apache Rya" was approved by the ASF
Brand Management Committee [2]
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RYA-409>
-We updated the project status file at [3]
<http://incubator.apache.org/projects/rya.html>
-I started an evaluation of Rya according to the Apache Project Maturity
Model ([4] <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RYA-504>). The evaluation
is at [5]
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RYA/Apache+Maturity+Evaluation+for+Rya>
This evaluation is an optional step towards graduation, but most projects I
saw lately coming up for graduation completed this. We are doing well in
most of the areas, but I think we can improve the following:
-"QU50: The project strives to respond to documented bug reports in a
timely manner." - do we do that? how do we "prove" it? (most projects cite
a number of JIRA tickets (bugs) closed)
-"CO50: The way in which contributors can be granted more rights such as
commit access or decision power is clearly documented and is the same for
all contributors." - we follow the general Apache procedures, but maybe we
can write a document to make it clear to contributors how to contribute
(answer questions, participate in discussions, participate in code reviews,
improve documentation, submit bug reports, contribute code, help with
advertising, etc)
-"CO70: The project strives to answer user questions in a timely manner." -
some questions are indeed answered in a timely manner, but some are not -
we should try to improve this  - even a partial answer is better than no
answer to questions asked on the dev list

What do people think about this assessment? In particular, what do you
think about the three areas of improvement above?

Once we complete this, we can create a graduation resolution and start a
vote.

Happy Holidays!
Adina

Re: Graduation