Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by JaredM <em...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/12 10:50:27 UTC

Performance/usage guidelines?

Hi,

I'm new to message queues and have been searching for some usage guidelines.
I understand that the biggest factors to think about regarding performance
seem to be message size and the volume or rate of messages.

However, I want to know what considerations should I think about when
deciding on practical limits for the number of queues or topics?

Here is a fictional scenario (and I do mean fictional before someone points
me towards XMPP/Jabber): I want to build an Instant Messaging service for
100000 users.  The service would need to accommodate chat rooms as well as
instant messaging.  So would I create a queue for each IM and a topic for
every chat room?  If so, how many queues or topics could I create before I
run into performance problems?  Or is the number of queues and topics all
irrelevant and the only important factor is the size and volume of messages?

Re: Performance/usage guidelines?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 12/13/06, JaredM <em...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you know when the JEDI transport will be released and stable for use?

No - we're waiting for John to submit his patch :)

However if you want something now you could tinker with the fanout
transport which does a fair bit of what you need. But hopefully JEDI
will evolve to provide various ways of federating destinations across
different brokers.
--

James
-------