Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Brett @Google" <br...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/15 02:55:56 UTC

[users@httpd] ProxyExpressEnable

In apache 2.4 i'd like to use the new ProxyExpressEnable on a
wildcarded VirtualHost, and put a some more specific VirtualHosts for
reverse proxies which have more specific configurations or
customizations, not provided by the default ProxyExpress reverse proxy
behaviour.

But ProxyExpressEnable does not allow you to capture the case where no
ServerName is matched from the map file, to provide the "we dont host"
error message.

Maybe if it was possible to do :

<VirtualHost revproxy.internal:80>
    ServerAlias *.example.com

    ProxyExpressEnable on
    ProxyExpressDBMType SDBM
    ProxyExpressDBMFile conf/revproxy_auto

    # fictional proxy express directive
    ProxyExpressDefaultHost i_dont_know.internal

    RewiteCond %{HTTP_HOST} i_dont_know.internal
    RewriteRule ^/  /bad_host_error_page.html [L]
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost revproxy.internal:80>
    ServerName complex_config.example.com
    ProxyPass /app1 app1.server.internal
    ProxyPass /app1 app1.server.internal
    ProxyPass /app2 app2.server.internal
    ProxyPass /app2 app2.server.internal
</VirtualHost>

This would allow ProxyExpress for trivial preverse proxy configs, and
still catching the error case where you dont host the host header.

It would also then allow more specific or non-typical configs ?

So problems are :

1. catching the case when a host is not matched in ProxyExpressDBMFile
and returning an error page.
2. the previously mentioned problem wit apache 2.4 where
complex_config.example.com is not used when there is an "ServerAlias
*.example.com"

Cheers
Brett

--
The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Albert Einstein

Re: [users@httpd] ProxyExpressEnable

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Thanks for the suggestion... Should be ez enuff to add. Not sure
if I'll be able to do so before 2.4.2, but 2.4.3 for sure.