Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Robert Denton <ro...@headsprout.com> on 2007/06/06 19:31:35 UTC

Can't convert string from 'UTF-8' to native encoding

Hi folks,

I am getting an error when trying to do an svn update (see full text
of error below).  Has anyone encountered this or know how to correct it?

subversion/libsvn_subr/utf.c:466: (apr_err=22)
svn: Can't convert string from 'UTF-8' to native encoding:
subversion/libsvn_subr/utf.c:464: (apr_err=22)
svn: /svn_local/trunk/Marketing/Graphics source/
ExternalWebsiteReviews/Region XIII?\194?\160Education Service Center
- Supplemental Educational Services.pdf

Notice that the characters between XIII and Education are '?\194?
\160' but in the actual file name it is just a space.  Any suggestions?

Robert

Re: Can't convert string from 'UTF-8' to native encoding

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 6, 2007, at 14:31, Robert Denton wrote:

> I am getting an error when trying to do an svn update (see full
> text of error below).  Has anyone encountered this or know how to
> correct it?
>
> subversion/libsvn_subr/utf.c:466: (apr_err=22)
> svn: Can't convert string from 'UTF-8' to native encoding:
> subversion/libsvn_subr/utf.c:464: (apr_err=22)
> svn: /svn_local/trunk/Marketing/Graphics source/
> ExternalWebsiteReviews/Region XIII?\194?\160Education Service
> Center - Supplemental Educational Services.pdf
>
> Notice that the characters between XIII and Education are '?\194?
> \160' but in the actual file name it is just a space.  Any
> suggestions?

The character represented by the decimal bytes 194 160 (hex 0xC2
0xA0) are not "just a space." According to this page, it's the
"control" character U+0080:

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/0080/index.htm

You said "update", not "add", so this file is already in the
repository, it seems.

To allow your client to deal with filenames with non-ASCII
characters, you need to inform Subversion what character encoding
your terminal uses. Do so by setting the LANG environment variable to
the correct value for your system. For example, on my Mac, I set LANG
to "en_US.UTF-8" because my terminal uses the UTF-8 encoding and
because I want to see program messages in American English. Locales
in other operating systems may be different.

Once you are able to check this file out, you should rename it so
that you replace the control character with a real space, to avoid
problems in the future.