Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2003/02/08 08:05:00 UTC

[EXCALIBUR] threads - ConcurrentModificationException

A java.util.ConcurrentModificationException is occured while
running James with the excalibur-thread-1.1.jar.
I'm guessing this is a result of recent changes. Any ideas?

Cheers, Steve.

[INFO   ] (container.smtp): Connection from localhost (127.0.0.1)
[ERROR  ] (container.mailstore): CME in spooler - please report to
http://james.apache.org
     at java.util.HashMap$HashIterator.nextEntry(HashMap.java:762)
     at java.util.HashMap$KeyIterator.next(HashMap.java:798)
     at java.util.AbstractCollection.addAll(AbstractCollection.java:315)
     at
org.apache.james.mailrepository.AvalonMailRepository.list(AvalonMailRepository.java:389)
     at
org.apache.james.mailrepository.AvalonSpoolRepository.accept(AvalonSpoolRepository.java:47)
     at
org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.run(JamesSpoolManager.java:268)
     at
org.apache.excalibur.thread.impl.ExecutableRunnable.execute(ExecutableRunnable.java:90)
[INFO   ] (container.smtp): Successfully spooled mail from
postmaster@localhost for [test@localhost]

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: [EXCALIBUR] threads - ConcurrentModificationException

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Problem solved - the issue has been fixed by Noel under the James source.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Harmeet Bedi wrote:

Quick update:

I'm currently sorting though things in the James/Phoenix scenario and I
have a running solution which passes the test case.  The changes
required to the Phoenix distribution (lib directory) include:

  1. replacement of excalibur-thread-1.0 with 1.1
  2. replacement of excalibur-pool-1.0 with 1.2
  3. addition of commons-collections-2.1.

I'm about make these changes to HEAD and in the meantime I'll liase with
Paul to make sure that this is synchronized with the next release of
Phoenix.  This gets us into a working and deployable system with a
specific change-list.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Harmeet Bedi wrote:

> [...]

A Merlin install means following the directions in the THE_RED_PILL.TXT

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/avalon-sandbox/merlin/THE-RED-PILL.TXT
I.e. for the moment - you need to build a bunch of things from CVS.
There is not binary download. A maven based build in in progress which
will simplfy things a lot (but its not there yet). And as the document
states - if you try Merlin - you probably like living on the edge ;-)

>Phoenix has been James' container, and would like to avoid different
>containers unless of course the Avalon folks recommend that James should use
>one container over other.
>Avalon seems to have 4 containers - Phoenix, Merlin, Fortress, Tweety(toy,
>not functional). Earlier there was only one - Phoenix. I feel, James should
>stick with one container.

Of the container you have listed - only two are capable of dealing with
the James component model. These include Phoenix (released) and Merlin
(pre-release and under active development). There is a roadmap within
Avalon that basically lays out the convergence of Merlin, Phoenix and
Fortress, leading to a single container solution.

With respect to James - I'm not making any suggestions about what James
should or should not do concerning containers - with the single
exception that I have and will probably continue to encourage a
container neutral approach in the code. Keep in mind that there are two
parts to James - one is James as a component - the other is James as a
deployed package (James component + Phoenix + James/Phoenix deployment
directives). I'm interested in James as the component because I want to
be able to use the James component as the enterprise messaging solution
with other components I'm working on. These components require a
containment environment that lets me package and expose James services
to other components (e.g. web-servers, PKI systems, business objects,
community and collaboration frameworks, etc.). EMail management is an
important part of that equation and the basis for my interest in James
and its development.

A second aspect concerns Merlin development itself. Merlin basically
provides support for a composite component management where a system
like James can be packaged as a regular component. This means that I can
take the entire James platform and transport it into a component
exposing a specific set of services. Merlin does this by separating the
implementation (a component/container hierarchy) from the services
published by the component. The "implementation" separation is complete
and operational, however, work is ongoing concerning the encapsulation
side. Having the potential to test and validate Merlin against the James
component is a major plus for Merlin development - it's already resulted
in the identification and resolution of a number of issues and some
important improvements to the code base.

In relation to James direction and policy ... my interest should
absolutely not conflict with the James project usage of Phoenix or the
overall James containerment strategy. In fact, if you asked me to select
a container for James - I would recommend Phoenix relative to the
objective of delivering a deployable electronic messaging platform.
However - if you need to be able to embed James into another
environment, or create a component that has a dependency on James - then
the containment subject takes on a new perspective.

Personally I think it is absolutely *brilliant* that James (the
component) can be deployed in more than one container. It demonstrates
that the James component design is successful and that forward looking
evolution is likely to be achieved with even greater confidence.

Hope that clarifies my point of view.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Harmeet,

> Phoenix has been James' container, and would like to avoid different
> containers unless of course the Avalon folks recommend that James
> should use one container over other.

James is an Avalon application.  It should not matter which container we
use.  In point of fact, none of the containers, Phoenix included, will
survive their next development cycle.  They are going to redevelop a new
scalable container.

As for sticking with one container, we may distribute with Phoenix, but it
should not preclude someone from building it to work with Merlin or other
suitable container.  It certainly occurs to me that in some model of
deployment, being able to use Merlin to deploy, for example, an array of
processors (e.g., to provide massively scalable RemoteDelivery processing)
might be rather handy.

In any event, Stephen is not just doing Merlin; he's doing all of the Avalon
updating.

	--- Noel

Re: [EXCALIBUR] threads - ConcurrentModificationException

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.

From: <mc...@apache.org>
Subject: cvs commit: jakarta-james/tests README.txt

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.