Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Andy Coates <an...@confluent.io> on 2019/05/02 11:43:53 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-464 Default Replication Factor for AdminClient#createTopic

Rather than adding overloaded constructors, which can lead to API bloat, how about using a builder pattern?

I see it’s already got some constructor overloading, but we could add a single new constructor that takes just the name, and support everything else being set via builder methods.

This would result in a better long term api as the number of options increases.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Almog Gavra <al...@confluent.io>.
The cut-off line for the builder was to just port whatever is currently in
connect so that we don't break the APIs there. Perhaps it's better to just
introduce the critical methods (partitions/replicas/configs) and have the
one in connect just extend the new one.

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Almog Gavra <al...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com>.