Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com> on 2004/07/15 14:04:21 UTC

Re: LabelValueBean and BeanMap with and for indexed properties

At 03:52 AM 7/15/2004, you wrote:
>There are currently some discrepencies in beanutils where the above
>statement isn't followed - but, from the discussion over on commons, its
>likely that in a  future version of beanutils it will be changed so that it
>is always consistent with the above statement.
>
>Niall

Niall, what is the upshot of your observation?  Does this mean that, in
your view, I am likely nor not likely to see a difficulty if I rely upon
this undocumented use of <logic:iterate> and bean utils?

Thanks,

Michael

Re: LabelValueBean and BeanMap with and for indexed properties

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
No I see no difficulty in relying on it. I was just saying the same as Joe
had already said but I just thought it would give you more comfort to know
the principle that the beanutils committers are working on.

Just for information, the inconsistency issue currently in beanutils is
where you have a bean that extends a Map but also implements some simple
properties.

For example

public class MyBean extends Map {

   protected String foo;
   public void setFoo(String foo) {
      this.foo= foo;
   }
   public String getFoo() {
      return foo;
   }
}

Currently if you call PropertyUtils.setProperty("foo", "bar") then beanutils
would set the value in the "foo" property rather than the Map. But using
PropertyUtils.getProperty("foo") ignores the "foo" property and only looks
for an entry in the Map with a key of "foo".

Its likely that beanutils will change in the future so that the "setter"
works in the same way as the "getter".

Niall