Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by nausheen <na...@siptech.co.in> on 2001/10/18 08:17:46 UTC

Controlling portlet opening

Hi....

How can I control the area in which my portlets open?

When I click a link in a portlet I do not want the target page's content to
cover my entire screen...just below my page header.

I really could use some help with this.

Thx,
Nausheen.

Re: Controlling portlet opening

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.
Nausheen,
I have not done a "frames" implementation in Jetspeed, but this is how I
would start:

Jetspeed generates 1 file to send to the browser.  This file is based on
WEB-INF/templates/vm/navigation/html/default.vm, or
WEB-INF/templates/jsp/navigation/html/default.jsp it you are using the
JSP to do the layout.  In default.vm their are place holders for the
navigation bars, $navigation.setTemplate(), and the portlet content,
$screen_placeholder.  Using javascript, you may be able to create a
window containing a one place holder and then add that window to the
frame.

I am now sure how complete or workable a solution this is.

Other options:
o If the links you want displayed are from an RSS feed, then you an
modify
  the XSL file, defined in the <portlet-entry>, to display the link in a
new windows by adding
  target="_blank" to the <a href=...> tag.
  This is a very clean solution.

o If you control the content, then you can write a portlet that displays
  a webpage using a parameter on that contains the URL.  This is a very
  fragile solution because the URL must be encoded by the initial
  application to use the portlet and the configuration is tricky.

Hope this helps.

Paul Spencer

Posted by nausheen <na...@siptech.co.in>.
Paul...
I am not quite sure of what you mean :(
I tried to put my top, left and bottom in 3 frames in default.vm but it
didnt make a difference.

Pls elaborate a little.

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.
Nausheen,