Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name> on 2019/02/05 22:42:31 UTC

[PROPOSAL] New blockchain project: Cava

Hi all,

We’d like to start a conversation around a new proposal for a set of Java-based blockchain project.

I have written a proposal available here, and reproduced below: https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CavaProposal <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CavaProposal>

At this time, we have a champion, Jim Jagielski (thanks Jim), and would like to recruit additional developers and mentors.

We have deliberately left room on the project charter to engage openly with the community. That said, we would start the project with code coming from ConsenSys, and we will recruit developers from there and elsewhere actively.

The goal of this thread is engage with the community and gather interest for participation in the project. Please let us know what you think!

Cheers,

Antoine Toulme

== Abstract ==
Cava is a set of libraries and other tools to aid development of blockchain and other decentralized software in Java and other JVM languages.

Please note: Cava is a contraction of "ConsenSys Java". The community should consider an alternate name.

= Proposal =

Cava is a set of libraries and other tools to aid development of blockchain and other decentralized software in Java and other JVM languages.
It includes a low-level bytes library, serialization and deserialization codecs (e.g. RLP), various cryptography functions and primatives, and lots of other helpful utilities.
Cava is developed for JDK 1.8 or higher, and depends on various other FOSS libraries.

=== Background ===

Cava was built as an open source project from the grounds up to accelerate the maturation of the blockchain ecosystem, particularly in relation with enterprise products predominantly built in Java.
Cava is used by several products today: Orion, Pantheon, and Artemis from Pegasys.

Cava libraries are also used in various experiments regarding scalability, such as Canto.

Several other community members would want to leverage Cava and would benefit from working directly on the project outside of the influence of the original corporate sponsor, ConsenSys.

=== Rationale ===

Cava is organized as set of libraries that form the basis of most blockchain, distributed ledgers or cryptography work.

Most of the work built for Cava was meant for Ethereum, but can be reused across other blockchain technologies.

There is a need for blockchain implementors to use well trusted, production-ready software to bootstrap their efforts.

=== Initial Goals ===

The goal is to form a community of developers and adopters who will be able to collaborate openly around blockchain technologies and mature frameworks
to reduce risk when implementing blockain-related projects.

=== Current Status ===

The project is well established and counts 2 active committers. Some contributions were made from the community.

The project has made several releases, distributed through Maven Central, with GPG signatures and proper Maven metadata published.

'''Meritocracy:'''

Active discussions on github issues and PRs has helped identify new possible commiters.

Our main goal, moving to Apache is to promote our project as a meritocracy under the guideline of the Apache Way to help foster a community around our efforts.

 * '''Community:'''

Blockchain protocol developers organize well in communities, and some lively discussions take place over Twitter, Gitter, Telegram.

We would like to create a community for dedicated Java developers to contribute to the blockchain space.

We currently have a little activity through the channels mentioned above, but no channel dedicated specifically to Cava is seeing a lot of traction.

 * '''Core Developers:'''

Cava was built by two developers with a long experience in open source work. Both lead separate open source projects.
One of the developers is the PMC Chair for Apache Buildr and a committer for Apache ODE.

 * '''Alignment:'''

We believe there isn't a blockchain TLP for Java at Apache at this time and would like to participate in establishing a presence in that domain of expertise.

We would rely and integrate closely with a number of projects hosted by the ASF such as Apache Camel.

'''Known Risks'''

 * '''Orphaned products''':

The contributors are committed to the development of the blockchain space and are employed by a leading vendor in blockchain.

The source code is used in a production setting by critical projects.

However, the number of initial developers and contributors is small, and we will need to ramp up our recruitment efforts.

 * '''Inexperience with Open Source:'''

The project was started from scratch as an open source project. All committers have experience with open source projects.

We did not make the effort of creating a detailed roadmap and organizing a collaborative approach to reaching to the community for feedback.
We aim to rely on the ASF infrastructure, especially Jira, to help create more visibility in this regard.

 * '''Length of Incubation:'''

 We will remain in incubation for a period of no less than a year so we can properly invest and build a community of users, contributors and committers around our goals.

 * '''Homogenous Developers:'''

The current list of committers is made of folks working or having worked for the same company.
We will aggressively expand to new populations of developers, from a geographical and domain perspective.

We believe there is a category of enterprise Java developers who are not experimenting with blockchain technologies because it looks immature or is built in other languages.
We believe addressing this gap will help create a healthy community around the project.

 * '''Reliance on Salaried Developers''':

The project is made first and foremost of volunteers. One of the initial committers is salaried by one of the sponsors.

Given the level of interest into the project, we firmly believe the project would continue without salaried developers contributing to the project.

 * '''Relationships with Other Apache Products:'''

We will work with other Apache and open source projects to help ensure we offer developers using our framework a cohesive approach to building blockchain middleware products.
Currently the project doesn't have strong tie ins to other Apache projects, but we will investigate how to strenghten our relationships with middleware integration projects such as Apache Camel, queues and transport projects such as Apache Kafka, and database projects such as Apache Ignite and Apache Cassandra.

 * '''A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand:'''

We rely on the Apache Way to help bake in the best community around our project. We are educated about the sensitivity of the Apache brand and how to best preserve it.
We will make sure to work with  the Incubator PMC and the PRC to ensure the brand policies are respected.

'''Documentation'''

You can read more about Cava at our current github repository: https://www.github.com/consensys/Cava

We publish as part of each build a complete project documentation in Dokka and Javadoc formats: https://consensys.github.io/cava/docs/kotlin/0.6.0/cava/

'''Initial Source'''

All initial source is under the git repository present at https://www.github.com/consensys/Cava.

The source is under Apache License v2.0. All source files have headers with a copyright notice.

All contributors have signed a ICLA to assign copyright to ConsenSys, AG.

'''Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan'''

The source is under Apache License v2.0. All source files have headers with a copyright notice.

All contributors have signed a ICLA to assign copyright to ConsenSys, AG.

We have no web properties (domain names or hosted content) outside of the github repository and the bintray repository.

'''External Dependencies''':

The dependencies all have Apache compatible licenses. These include
   BSD, CDDL, CPL, MPL and MIT licensed dependencies.
A report of the dependencies is compiled and checked for valid licenses for each build, the latest is:
https://851-137528592-gh.circle-artifacts.com/0/reports/license/license-dependency.html

'''Cryptography'''

The proposal involves cryptographic code directly and indirectly.

'''Required Resources''':

 * '''Mailing lists:'''

   * dev@cava.incubator.apache.org
   * users@cava.incubator.apache.org
   * commits@cava.incubator.apache.org

 * '''Subversion Directory:'''

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cava

 * '''Git Repositories:'''

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-cava.git

 * '''Issue Tracking:'''

JIRA Cava (CAVA)

'''Initial Committers'''

Antoine Toulme (toulmean at apache dot org) *

'''Interested Developers'''

TBD

'''Sponsors'''

ConsenSys would sponsor this project.

 * '''Champion:'''

 Jim Jagielski ( jim at apache dot org )

 * '''Nominated Mentors:'''

 Jim Jagielski ( jim at apache dot org )

 * '''Sponsoring Entity''':

 TBD - the incubator?

Re: [PROPOSAL] New blockchain project: Cava

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Antoine,

as said in my other e-mail, I would like to help. Especially, it seems
now you have a set of blockchain library, but not yet a runtime.
I would like to help on the runtime part (if it's planned to be part of
the project), especially around Karaf, Camel, Kafka, whatever.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] New blockchain project: Cava

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.
Thanks. I am replying inline:

> On Feb 5, 2019, at 2:57 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Nice proposal. Just a couple of  comments.
>
>> The project is well established and counts 2 active committers. Some contributions were made from the community.
>
> Being that small may be a concern, the ASF prefers project with a community around them, but it’s not always a barrier to entry see for example Apache PLC4X.
We actually have more interest and contributors, and making this proposal is going to help me engage them in the open.

I’d like to leverage this proposal process as much as possible to build the community.

>> Blockchain protocol developers organize well in communities, and some lively discussions take place over Twitter, Gitter, Telegram.
>
> At the ASF all decisions need to be made on the mailing list not on any external platform mentioned above. Would the project be OK with moving discussions to a mailing list and having them in an asynchronous manner?
This is absolutely fine, yes.

If that wasn’t clear, I lament the state of the communication channels of blockchain development communities. I believe proper mailing lists will help. And I think the culture of ASF will help us stick to that.

>> We will remain in incubation for a period of no less than a year so we can properly invest and build a community of users, contributors and committers around our goals.
>
> Most projects take more than a year to graduate, two years is usual but some projects do take longer. Is the project OK with that and will your mentors stay around for that long?
I’m OK with this. Will update.

>> '''Initial Committers'''
>>
>> Antoine Toulme (toulmean at apache dot org) *
>
> Seem odd to only list one initial committer, all initial committer s are on the PPMC and you would need a minimum of 3 active people. The IPMC generally likes to see 5.
See above. I’m now collecting motions of support and will push for more people.

Posted by "Debo Dutta (dedutta)" <de...@cisco.com>.
I would love to be contribute in some way.

thx
debo

On 2/5/19, 3:36 PM, "Dave Fisher" <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

    Hi -

    I would also be happy to volunteer as a Mentor to this podling.

    Regards,
    Dave

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

It can be a large amount of work to change the name once in graduation, website content and mailing lists need to change, your users will need to resubscribe to your mailing list and you may loose some if your community in the process. It’s up the project but I would suggest starting incubation with a name that’s likely to not need changing.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [PROPOSAL] New blockchain project: Cava

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
I see nothing wrong w/ Cava and see no need to change it, esp before incubation.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.

> On Feb 6, 2019, at 10:11 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I read it as: it seems they are more (rightly) concerned that the
>>> derivation of the name includes a corporate name. Not that it interferes
>>> with other existing names.
>>
>> It is not unusual for an Apache project name to be a brand and domain in
>> another field of use.
>>
>> Try these:
>> Tomcat.com -> baited rodent traps
>> Spark.com -> dating site
>> Camel.com -> tobacco
>> Geronimo.com -> help for non-profits
>> Sling.com -> live tv streaming
>> Jackrabbit.com -> athletic apparel
>>

> I understand that, and how trademarks are area-specific.
>
> The proposal specifically states: *Cava is a contraction of "ConsenSys
> Java"*
>
> Thus, I read the community requesting a to-do for a new name that is not
> based on a company name.
>
> -g

Yes, I think it will help adoption if the community owns the name.

Re: [PROPOSAL] New blockchain project: Cava

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 6, 2019, at 6:16 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 6:06 PM Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hey just because there is a restaurant chain called Cava does not mean
>> that a software project called Cava is not suitable.
>>
>> BTW Cava is Spanish Sparkling Wine - it is like Champagne but made with
>> Spanish varietals. [1]
>>

> I read it as: it seems they are more (rightly) concerned that the
> derivation of the name includes a corporate name. Not that it interferes
> with other existing names.

It is not unusual for an Apache project name to be a brand and domain in another field of use.

Try these:
Tomcat.com -> baited rodent traps
Spark.com -> dating site
Camel.com -> tobacco
Geronimo.com -> help for non-profits
Sling.com -> live tv streaming
Jackrabbit.com -> athletic apparel

Best Regards,
Dave

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.
Indeed, our logo on bintray is a bottle of wine :)

All, thanks for your enthusiastic replies. Please keep feedback coming!

I have added all the responses to the wiki page:

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Charith Elvitigala <ch...@apache.org>.
+1

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 13:04, Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > >    BSD, CDDL, CPL, MPL and MIT licensed dependencies.
> > > A report of the dependencies is compiled and checked for valid licenses
> > for each build, the latest is:
> > >

> https://851-137528592-gh.circle-artifacts.com/0/reports/license/license-dependency.html
> > >

> > > '''Cryptography'''
> > >
> > > The proposal involves cryptographic code directly and indirectly.
> > >
> > > '''Required Resources''':
> > >
> > >  * '''Mailing lists:'''

> > >    * dev@cava.incubator.apache.org
> > >    * users@cava.incubator.apache.org
> > >    * commits@cava.incubator.apache.org
> > >
> > >  * '''Subversion Directory:'''
> > >
> > > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cava
> > >
> > >  * '''Git Repositories:'''
> > >
> > > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-cava.git
> > >
> > >  * '''Issue Tracking:'''
> > >
> > > JIRA Cava (CAVA)
> > >
> > > '''Initial Committers'''
> > >
> > > Antoine Toulme (toulmean at apache dot org) *

Charitha Elvitigala

Re: [PROPOSAL] New blockchain project: Cava

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Antoine,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] New blockchain project: Cava

Posted by larry mccay <lm...@apache.org>.
+1

I would also be interested in being involved as an initial committer for
this.

thanks,

--larry
Apache Knox, PMC Chair

Posted by Selvamohan Neethiraj <sn...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
I suggest to do a PNS as soon as possible, and preferably before the
podling is established.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)
since 2008*

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Antonie,

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@apache.org>.
+1,

Interesting proposal.

I would be happy to be part of the project in any way possible..
(Contributor/Reviewer/Mentor/Committer)

-Vinay

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Hi Antoine,