Posted to dev@deltaspike.apache.org by Antoine Sabot-Durand <an...@sabot-durand.net> on 2012/06/14 08:02:44 UTC

About Converter framework vote

Hi,

I'll probably vote +1 but wanted to comment this point

> a.) What is this for? -> no one knows

As I was away for a long time (Launching Agorava) I won't comment this

> b.) Do we need it in DeltaSpike? -> not yet.

Yes you're probably right : we have more important things to deal with now

> c.) Do we need it for JSF? -> No, JSF has it's own Converter logic

Yes, but JSF is not the only use case for using  CDI

> d.) Do we need it somewhere else? -> No, not afaik

That's the point I don't agree with. I'm working on Java EE 6 POCS for a customer. One go this POC is a full rest application using HTML5 techs on client and Jax-RS / CDI  and other Java EE tech on the server. It's obvious that a converter framework would be very useful here since we won't have JSF to deal with it. We'll have to create some batch POC, again converter would be nice.

In fact it questions the goals of DS. We all agree on the fact that DS should provide a way to ease CDI extension development. But beyond that should it provide only tools ease to JSF development or should it be more ambitious by bringing missing features for the whole Java EE 6 stack. You probably guessed that I prefer the second solution ;-).

Antoine Sabot-Durand
-------------------------------
http://agorava.org
@antoine_sd

AW: About Converter framework vote

Posted by Arne Limburg <ar...@openknowledge.de>.
We can think about very basic conversion support, i.e.
Conversion from Object to String: Use toString()
Conversion from String to Object: Use the Constructor that has only one argument of type String, if available (we would get Support for Integer, Long, Double, Float, even java.io.File, java.net.URL, java.net.URI)

Cheers,
Arne

Posted by Antoine Sabot-Durand <an...@sabot-durand.net>.
I was obviously not clear enough. I didn't say DS should redevelop
what already exist but should perhaps integrate it.
When I read that there are no use cases for converter since JSF
provides it, it makes me react.

Antoine

Posted by Pete Muir <pm...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.