Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Erich W Schreiner <es...@yahoo.com> on 2010/07/26 11:08:12 UTC

Consistent ue of generics etc in Wicket

Dear Wicket team,

what is your policy regarding the (consistent) use of Java 5 features such as
generics in Wicket and related projects (extensions etc)?

I was looking into https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-2949 and the
Select class which does not use generics currently. This gives some 10 compiler
warnings (at least in my Eclipse configuration).

The problem with adding generics to classes like Select is that it will
potentially result in compiler warnings in client code. So, adding generics when
touching some code to fix a bug might be fine for 1.5 but might annoy people
when done on 1.4.x? But generics do have some advantages, right? And therefore
should be used where and when possible...

What is your suggestion about how to handle this? What is the general rule when
working on trunk / 1.5?

Thank you & Cheers,
Erich

Re: Consistent ue of generics etc in Wicket

Posted by Juergen Donnerstag <ju...@gmail.com>.
In 1.5 (which is trunk) everything can be changed/improved. 1.4 is a
drop-in replacement for 1.3  - no changes to the API - except for
adding generics. 1.4 is recommended for production.

Juergen