Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/03 07:28:23 UTC

Proposal to remove excess runtime libraries

Hello Everyone,

I would like to propose deleting the following libraries from build.gradle

runtime 'apache-xerces:resolver:2.9.1'
runtime 'commons-el:commons-el:1.0'
runtime 'net.sf.dozer:dozer:4.2.1'
runtime 'org.apache.axis2:axis2-adb:1.7.1'
runtime 'org.apache.httpcomponents:httpcore:4.4.1'
runtime
'org.apache.servicemix.bundles:org.apache.servicemix.bundles.xpp3:1.1.4c_7'
runtime 'org.apache.tomcat.extras:tomcat-extras-juli-adapters:8.0.39'
runtime 'org.apache.xalan:com.springsource.org.apache.xml.serializer:2.7.1'
runtime 'ws-commons-java5:ws-commons-java5:1.0.1'

I made multiple tests in removing them in combination with removing
specialpurpose components and I don't observe anything breaking. Some of
them are replaced by dependencies when deleted while others are just gone.

So I prefer to remove them and it's always easy to introduce things back if
we discover any issues that we missed. They seem to be mostly things that
had a PoC from the past like bean mappers or so.

Should I go ahead? opinions?

Taher Alkhateeb

Re: Proposal to remove excess runtime libraries

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Thank you folks. Committed in r1772839.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 05/12/2016 � 14:04, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Taher,

I'd say it's not a big risk to remove them if it works on your side. As you said, in case of issue a missing lib can easily be introduced.

I just wondered about:

  * 'org.apache.tomcat.extras:tomcat-extras-juli-adapters:8.0.39' It's an adapters to plug in other logging frameworks in Tomca. So I guess if people
    really need it they will add it, it's not a necessity OOTB
  * Same for axis2-adb

I checked most others, it's OK with me.

Thanks

Jacques

Le 03/12/2016 � 08:28, Taher Alkhateeb a �crit :