Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Nick Johnson <ar...@notdot.net> on 2008/10/08 09:28:12 UTC

Unofficial Google Groups archive of couchdb-user@

Since Apache's list archive is so difficult to search, and there's a lot of
useful information on this mailing list, I've set up an unofficial archive
at http://groups.google.com/group/couchdb-user-archive . It only contains
messages from when it was created (about a week ago) onwards, and it's
read-only, but hopefully it'll provide an easier place for people to find
relevant messages to this ML.
-Nick Johnson

Re: Unofficial Google Groups archive of couchdb-user@

Posted by Thibaut Barrère <th...@gmail.com>.
Great idea, thanks!

@Chris - it seems that posting is not enabled on the group - is it the same
for you ?

cheers,

Thibaut
--
[blog] http://evolvingworker.com - tools for a better day
[blog] http://blog.logeek.fr - about writing software

Re: Unofficial Google Groups archive of couchdb-user@

Posted by David Howell <da...@wolfram.com>.
>> I guess I'll no longer feel like a super-hero with my secret ability
>> to search gmail archives to find old CouchDB posts. Ah, the internet,

markmail.org has a pretty good email search engine, and they crawl
apache project lists (among many others). I've had pretty good luck with
  using it to search the CouchDB lists in the past.

Re: Unofficial Google Groups archive of couchdb-user@

Posted by Nick Johnson <ar...@notdot.net>.
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2008, at 9:59 , Nick Johnson wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> but

>>> Thanks - I was scared to try!
>>>
>>> I guess I'll no longer feel like a super-hero with my secret ability
>>> to search gmail archives to find old CouchDB posts. Ah, the internet,
>>> letting everyone be super-heros. :)
>>>

>> Unfortunately, you can't do that anymore, either - Jan deleted the
>> original
>> google group.
>>

> I think is referring to searching couchdb-user with Google.
>
> In my defence: The old archives didn't have much relevant
> information anymore and Noah asked me to nuke the group
> to avoid user-confusion, which your archive introduces again.

I've done my best to make it absolutely clear where the 'real' list is, and
that this is just an archive.

> (Told you on IRC, though). I'm not saying a searchable archive
> is not useful but I really think this should be done on the ASF-
> Infrastructure end. If done right this will benefit all list archives,
> not just us. It'd be really cool, if someone could look into this:
>
> Any takers?

I emailed infra@, and they told me to fix mod_mbox if I wanted anything to
change. Not saying this to discourage anyone else from trying, just letting
you know what the status is.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Johnson <ar...@notdot.net>.
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 12:40 AM, Nick Johnson <ar...@notdot.net> wrote:
> >
> > The list won't actually allow people to post (it's admin-posting-only),
> but
> > I've put up a welcome message on the front page informing people of this.
> >

> Thanks - I was scared to try!
>
> I guess I'll no longer feel like a super-hero with my secret ability
> to search gmail archives to find old CouchDB posts. Ah, the internet,
> letting everyone be super-heros. :)

Unfortunately, you can't do that anymore, either - Jan deleted the original
google group.

-Nick

Re: Unofficial Google Groups archive of couchdb-user@

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 12:40 AM, Nick Johnson <ar...@notdot.net> wrote:

> The list won't actually allow people to post (it's admin-posting-only), but
> I've put up a welcome message on the front page informing people of this.

Thanks - I was scared to try!

I guess I'll no longer feel like a super-hero with my secret ability
to search gmail archives to find old CouchDB posts. Ah, the internet,
letting everyone be super-heros. :)

Chris

--
Chris Anderson