Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@Elsag-Solutions.com> on 2007/10/16 10:01:42 UTC

Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Folks,

are there any updates for Maven 2.0.8? What's left to finalize the release? We're still stuck at M205 due to regressions in M206+M207. All of this has been solved months ago. I face meanwhile quite daily people dropping by in my office with Maven problems where I have to say, it is solved in M208 - please wait. I know we Apache people are all volunteers, therefore I'd like to know what's still missing?

- Jörg

Re: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>.
I discovered a binary compatibility issue with the Reporting API.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3245

Patch included.

James

Re: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 16 Oct 07, at 4:13 PM 16 Oct 07, Brian E. Fox wrote:

> Yes, I've looked at it as recently as Sunday. I think we need to
> draw the line and push out a release as it's unlikely that all 17
> issues will be fixed very soon. We're getting too far away from the
> release early/ release often mantra we try to follow.

I'll try it all on my builds, look at the ITs and then push out a
release to a staging repository.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
agreed

On 10/16/07, Brian E. Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu> wrote:
> Yes, I've looked at it as recently as Sunday. I think we need to draw the line and push out a release as it's unlikely that all 17 issues will be fixed very soon. We're getting too far away from the release early/ release often mantra we try to follow.

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

RE: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Can we get an IT test for this? http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Creating+a+Maven+Integration+Test

Could we at least resolve those issues that have patches waiting to be applied?

Like http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2123

William

RE: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I took a stab at the low hanging fruit and knocked the list down to 13 now (plus several are all related to encoding). If you can write an IT for 2123 using the link I sent on how to make an IT, then it will drastically increase the chances it makes it in.

Posted by William Ferguson <Wi...@yarris.com>.
Fair cop.

I wasn't having a whine.
It just seemed like there a rush on to push 2.0.8 out the door as soon as the encoding problem was resolved and I didn't want to see an issue that can be a real pain in the arse get left out, especially when it has a patch.

William

On 16 Oct 07, at 5:27 PM 16 Oct 07, William Ferguson wrote:

> Could we at least resolve those issues that have patches waiting to be
> applied?
>
> Like http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2123

It's really is not as simple as applying a patch. They need testing, and verification and validating something like the artifact resolution mechanism, as in the case of this patch, takes time. Even if only a couple hours, it all adds up.

> William

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 16 Oct 07, at 5:27 PM 16 Oct 07, William Ferguson wrote:

> Could we at least resolve those issues that have patches waiting to
> be applied?
>
> Like http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2123

It's really is not as simple as applying a patch. They need testing,
and verification and validating something like the artifact
resolution mechanism, as in the case of this patch, takes time. Even
if only a couple hours, it all adds up.

> William

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

RE: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by William Ferguson <Wi...@yarris.com>.

RE: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Re: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by William Ferguson <Wi...@yarris.com>.

Re: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jörg,

Re: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
this unit test shows what was expected (the comments inside explain it), and
the exact thing I was trying to warn everybody
= it shows that when you use the bad code "new FileReader(File)", wrong
encoding is used: you have to replace it
with "ReaderFactory.newXmlReader(File)"

One thing to understand is that encoding work is not done in the model, but in
the calling code when creating the reader: if the reader is created with
wrong encoding, it's too late, the model can't do anything.

This said, I think this unit test patch isn't necessary any more: the IT does
a more complete test, since it doesn't check that if a developer uses the
good API the encoding is ok but it checks that Maven code actually uses the
good API.
But this unit test is a lot simpler to understand, and perhaps it is good to
keep just to have a learning sample.
If you think so and want to keep it, I advise you to change the encoding of
the XML file used: it is actually in UTF-8, which is the platform encoding of
some platforms (my Linux box, for example). Then the badly written test won't
fail. If you transform XML file into UTF-16, the test will fail on every
platform.

regards,

Hervé

Re: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
seems that the integration tests are not passing, check the continuum
mails to the mailing list

RE: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Thanks Herve. I already added the integration test to the core tests last week. I can build maven and give it a whirl, hopefully tonight.

RE: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
The Encoding IT test passes now.

RE: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Herve,

Re: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
work done:

Re: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 16 Oct 07, at 6:29 AM 16 Oct 07, Brian E. Fox wrote:

> I think we're just aiming to fix the encoding.

Herve is working on that now, and then we'll release it.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

RE: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

RE: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>.
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3244

Updated the issue with the fix and the test cases.

Thanks
James

RE: Maven 2.0.8 - any updates?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.