Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "pp1907@yahoo.com" <pp...@yahoo.com> on 2007/10/04 20:39:42 UTC

Custom Search algorithm integration

Hi,

Were planning to use Lucene or Solr within our
application and wanted to know if it can support the
following:

Scenario:
We have (say) 5 fields in a document which need to be
indexed. 4 fields are indexed by Lucene. The 5th field
is not indexed as it has data that cant be indexed or
searched by Lucene.

We have a special algorithm/API to search/match on the
5th field. Can this algorithm/API be integrated within
Lucene/Solr so that if we pass the 5th field data as a
query, the search engine will use our algorithm/API to
search and return/display the results. The reason why
 we want this to be integrated with Lucene/Solr are
obvious - rely on Lucene/Solr's basic scalability /
performance as well as integrate both  traditional
searching capabilities and specialized searching for
our end-user

Is this possible to achieve in Lucene/Solr and if so,
how. Would be nice to understand your thoughts as this
is very critical for us.

Appreciate your help. thank you.

cheers
Prakash

Re: Custom Search algorithm integration

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
You may want to look at the FunctionQuery capability, either in
Lucene, or the expanded capabilities (recently added) in Solr.

-Grant

On Oct 4, 2007, at 2:39 PM, pp1907@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Were planning to use Lucene or Solr within our
> application and wanted to know if it can support the
> following:
>
> Scenario:
> We have (say) 5 fields in a document which need to be
> indexed. 4 fields are indexed by Lucene. The 5th field
> is not indexed as it has data that cant be indexed or
> searched by Lucene.
>
> We have a special algorithm/API to search/match on the
> 5th field. Can this algorithm/API be integrated within
> Lucene/Solr so that if we pass the 5th field data as a
> query, the search engine will use our algorithm/API to
> search and return/display the results. The reason why
>  we want this to be integrated with Lucene/Solr are
> obvious - rely on Lucene/Solr's basic scalability /
> performance as well as integrate both  traditional
> searching capabilities and specialized searching for
> our end-user
>
> Is this possible to achieve in Lucene/Solr and if so,
> how. Would be nice to understand your thoughts as this
> is very critical for us.
>
> Appreciate your help. thank you.
>
> cheers
> Prakash