Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Arik Kfir <ar...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2004/12/01 12:21:51 UTC

Re: commercial Forrest skins?

Glen Tulukin wrote:

>"Apache Forrest is an XML standards-oriented documentation framework based
>upon Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schemas, images and other
>resources. Forrest uses these to render the source content into a website
>via command-line, robot, or dynamic application. " -- it's on the
>forrest.apache.org. The word "documentation" is restrictive/confusing for a
>new commer. I am lucky to have Vadim Gritsenko in the next cubical (he is
>frequent contributor to Cocoon, if somebody does not know) who can explain
>that "Forrest is Cocoon plus three skins plus ready-to-use sitemap. Do with
>Forrest whatever you would do with Cocoon. People mainly use it for
>documentation and you are the first one I know who uses Forrest for _real_
>website generation."

Umm....well actually we use Forrest for *real* site generation. I'm
heading our Java technologies
team over at the Israeli AirForce and we maintain a site that contains
all the resources a Java developer
here needs (something like an aggregation of articles, documentations,
links, work procedures, how-tos,
etc).  We also implemented a continuous integration framework which
resembles Maven (only we did it
four years ago ;-)) which integrates nicely into Forrest too. We use
almost all Forrest features such as
skins, new DTDs/catalogs, and even integrated it with custom Java
Servlets code running in the same
web app (in addition to using it for static content).  Actually, we're
anxious for the plugin-concept to come
out...

Just wanted to make ya Forrest devs feel proud ;-)

>Then welcome more patchers with more attractive product idea. I suggest to
>replace "documentation" with "content generation and management": "Apache
>Forrest is an XML standards-oriented ***content generation and management***
>framework based upon Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schemas,
>images and other resources. Forrest uses these to render the source content
>into a website via command-line, robot, or dynamic application. "
>
>Glen

Love it.

cheers ;-)

Re: commercial Forrest skins?

Posted by Arik Kfir <ar...@users.sourceforge.net>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Arik Kfir wrote:
>
>> Umm....well actually we use Forrest for *real* site generation. I'm
>> heading our Java technologies
>> team over at the Israeli AirForce and we maintain a site that
>> contains all the resources a Java developer
>> here needs (something like an aggregation of articles,
>> documentations, links, work procedures, how-tos,
>> etc).  We also implemented a continuous integration framework which
>> resembles Maven (only we did it
>> four years ago ;-)) which integrates nicely into Forrest too. We use
>> almost all Forrest features such as
>> skins, new DTDs/catalogs, and even integrated it with custom Java
>> Servlets code running in the same
>> web app (in addition to using it for static content).  Actually,
>> we're anxious for the plugin-concept to come
>> out...
>>
>> Just wanted to make ya Forrest devs feel proud ;-)
>

> Thanks Arik, we do. What a shame that you cannot add
> your site to our Examples page. We should do what the
> Apache Cococoon project is just starting. Enable users
> to add descriptions of intranet sites.
>
> --David

I agree. I think I read somewhere in the Forrest dream tasks that ASF
should provide a stronger foundation for open-source development,
something similar to what sourceforge had done - and Forrest does seem
to lay a good foundation to that.

Alas - I feel I was born a few years too early ;-)

Re: commercial Forrest skins?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Glen Tulukin wrote:
> I knew that -- there are people who use Forrest for *real* site generation.
> We can argue about the term "documentation" but the *real" site hardly can
> be called *documentation* -- IMHO. I like suggested "Apache Forrest is a
> content presentation framework that is able to render complete and
> consistent websites, documents and reports by keeping the content separate
> from the style. "
>
> I'll ask client's (actually I have two clients) permission to post a link to
> their web site. Next to the link to the web site I suggest to have short
> description what they did/used/how customized Forrest.

That would be great. Send a patch or just the text.

> Glen
>
> P.S. One of clients is graphic design and signmaking company -- they can do
> t-shirts. I ordered one for myself with text "See FoRRest for the xml trees"
> that I proudly wear at this very moment.

That is confusing. Our "Forrest" has nothing to do
with trees, rather that is "forest".

> I can ask if they can do more but I
> guess they need some kind of permission from ASF

If they use the Apache feather logo.

--David

Posted by Glen Tulukin <gl...@iteclectic.com>.
I knew that -- there are people who use Forrest for *real* site generation.
We can argue about the term "documentation" but the *real" site hardly can
be called *documentation* -- IMHO. I like suggested "Apache Forrest is a
content presentation framework that is able to render complete and
consistent websites, documents and reports by keeping the content separate
from the style. "

I'll ask client's (actually I have two clients) permission to post a link to
their web site. Next to the link to the web site I suggest to have short
description what they did/used/how customized Forrest.

Glen

P.S. One of clients is graphic design and signmaking company -- they can do
t-shirts. I ordered one for myself with text "See FoRRest for the xml trees"
that I proudly wear at this very moment. I can ask if they can do more but I
guess they need some kind of permission from ASF... But use the slogan if
you like.

Posted by Arik Kfir <ar...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> [...]
> have a number of plugins in 0.7-dev. If you would like to join us over
> on the dev list I would be more than happy to assist you with any
> plugins you want to build.
>
> Given you use case you may be interested in the (very new) logs
> plugin. This is a plugin for displaying the output of log files in a
> Forrest site. We use it to display the logs of the most recent
> integration builds. At the moment it only supports the J2SE logging
> format, but it's a relatively trivial thing to enable other formats.
>
> There is a How-To on building plugins, it's not available on the
> public site yet, but if you have the SVN version of Forrest you have
> it in your how-to directory. If not you can view the xdocs online at:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/forrest/trunk/docs-author/content/xdocs/howto/howto-howto.xml
>

> Some more technical docs are available at:

10x, I'll take a look at that, though I'll probably have a hard time
getting 0.7-dev into production use (we're already using 0.6 which is
"kinda beta" so using 0.7-dev is kinda "beta-of-beta" if you catch my
meaning ;-)

But we'll start playing with it so we'll be ready when it comes out.
It's too bad we can't provide a link for your example sites (we're an
offline site...)

cheers

Re: commercial Forrest skins?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.