Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Hüsing Georg <ge...@d-velop.de> on 2020/03/05 09:38:40 UTC

Running JMeter tests with different threads

Hi,

I'm running JMeter test in a thread group with "Number of threads (users)" = 3.

I also use the User Parameters table with 3 users.

The tests succeeds if I set "Ramp-up period (seconds)" = 20.

But if I set "Ramp-up period (seconds)" = 0 the test fails with HTTP 403 Forbidden.

This is because the next Login starts before the prior actions with the prior login are finished:
Not Ok:
GET Login
POST blob 1
GET Login
POST blob 2
POST blob 1

Ok:
GET Login
POST blob 1
POST blob 2
GET LOGIN
POST blob 1

Is there a way to run the threads at the same time but the first thread is "encapsulated" so that the second thread does not interfere with the first thread?

With best regards

Georg Hüsing

AW: Running JMeter tests with different threads

Posted by Hüsing Georg <ge...@d-velop.de>.
Now I suppose I had found a solution:
It has nothing to do with threads, but with the login process: I simply forget to add the bearer token to the HTTP header of each step after the login. Now it works as expected.

With best regards

Georg
-------------------------

Hi Felix,

thanks for your quick reply!

In JMeter I add "Pre Processor | User Parameters" to define my test users (https://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/component_reference.html#User_Parameters). The table has got the rows "API_KEY" and "USERNAME".

"API_KEY" is used by the login process: It uses GET to the IdentityProvider, loads the Auth session ID and uses a Cookie PostProcessor.

Afterwards the file upload starts inside this user session.

If I use more than one thread, the second login for the second user starts before the first session is finished. The system tries to assign a first session file upload to the second session - which is wrong (HTTP 403 forbidden).

It only works if I use a 20 sec ramp-up period - but this is not good for stress tests.

With best regards
Georg

Am 05.03.20 um 10:38 schrieb Hüsing Georg:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running JMeter test in a thread group with "Number of threads (users)" = 3.
>
> I also use the User Parameters table with 3 users.
Normally I set up different users by using a CSV Data Set Config element. What are you doing here exactly?

> The tests succeeds if I set "Ramp-up period (seconds)" = 20.
>
> But if I set "Ramp-up period (seconds)" = 0 the test fails with HTTP 403 Forbidden.
>
> This is because the next Login starts before the prior actions with the prior login are finished:
> Not Ok:
> GET Login
> POST blob 1
> GET Login
> POST blob 2
> POST blob 1
>
> Ok:
> GET Login
> POST blob 1
> POST blob 2
> GET LOGIN
> POST blob 1
>
> Is there a way to run the threads at the same time but the first thread is "encapsulated" so that the second thread does not interfere with the first thread?

Can you post a simple test plan, that shows what you are doing exactly?

Each thread should be separated by default when JMeter runs. There should be no interaction by default.

Felix

Re: Running JMeter tests with different threads

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.