Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Stubbs <da...@stubbs.uk.com> on 2011/09/09 10:54:36 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.27 - Solaris 10 - Tomcat process starts additional copies of itself with only 1 thread and no CPU

We're experiencing a problem on both production and test systems that has
only started to occur in the last few weeks (no new version of any software
have been put live to anyone's knowledge) that has us quite stumped.

We are seeing tomcat starting up additional copies of itself, each new copy
is allocating a chunk of storage, it only starts 1 thread, nothing gets
written to any logs and no CPU is being listed as having been used.

This keeps happening, and if it's not monitored the system memory all gets
taken up and we start to get SIGBUS errors.

We've tried turning all logging on, there don't appear to be any software
related events at the heart of the issue, and we can't see any system
triggers.

When we list the system tasks we see that the ghost process PPID is the same
as the PID of the still running main tomcat instance. Here is list of what
happened when it wasn't picked up for a while.

tomcat 21115 21114 0 14:46:44 ? 193:04 /usr/java/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/apache-tomcat -5.5.27-ti
tomcat 773 21115 0 17:29:27 ? 0:00 /usr/java/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/apache-tomcat -5.5.27-ti
tomcat 4270 21115 0 18:29:29 ? 0:00 /usr/java/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/apache-tomcat -5.5.27-ti
tomcat 5988 21115 0 18:59:32 ? 0:00 /usr/java/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/apache-tomcat -5.5.27-ti
tomcat 27209 21115 0 01:01:02 ? 0:00 /usr/java/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/apache-tomcat -5.5.27-ti
tomcat 13155 21115 0 05:32:09 ? 0:00 /usr/java/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/apache-tomcat -5.5.27-ti
tomcat 16785 21115 0 06:34:52 ? 0:00 /usr/java/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/apache-tomcat -5.5.27-ti
tomcat 12948 21115 0 20:58:50 ? 0:00 /usr/java/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/apache-tomcat -5.5.27-ti
tomcat 20054 21115 0 23:00:21 ? 0:00 /usr/java/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/apache-tomcat -5.5.27-ti
tomcat 23730 21115 0 00:03:47 ? 0:00 /usr/java/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/apache-tomcat -5.5.27-ti

The main process 21115 starts off fine, and is even still running with no
problems the next day, but we keep getting these ghost processes (for want
of a better description).

We have multiple tomcat servers running on the same system, but this is the
only one experiencing the problem, all of the others are unaffected.

The web apps themselves are pretty standard, servlets, JSPs, web services,
Oracle DB connection and a JMX link to an Apache MQ server for monitoring
purposes. This isn't even a heavily used application.

The web has come up empty for us, we can't find any information on this
fault at all, so would really appreciate any help you may be able to give
us.

Regards

Dave

RE: Tomcat 5.5.27 - Solaris 10 - Tomcat process starts additional copies of itself with only 1 thread and no CPU

Posted by Dave Stubbs <da...@stubbs.uk.com>.
This is on Solaris 10 which doesn't have that issue. Each process is
allocating its own storage so it looks like it's completely separate from
the parent process, threads would share the parents storage space.
No, we definitely aren't starting any additional processes ourselves.

This is happening not only on the test but on the production systems which
are black boxed.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/9/9 Dave Stubbs <da...@stubbs.uk.com>:
> We are seeing tomcat starting up additional copies of itself, each new copy
> is allocating a chunk of storage, it only starts 1 thread, nothing gets
> written to any logs and no CPU is being listed as having been used.
>(...)

1. It might be an issue with "ps" utility that it shows threads as
separate processes:

In it already mentioned in the FAQ:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Linux_Unix#Q1

In Tomcat 6 and later you can configure an <Executor> so that unneeded
request processing threads can be stopped.

Without an <Executor> the threads will be created if concurrent load
on your Tomcat increases, so active thread count will increase until
it reaches the default count of 200 request processing threads on
<Connector>.

2. Are you starting any additional processes by yourself? (E.g. when
using CGIServlet).

> tomcat 21115 21114 0 14:46:44 ? 193:04 /usr/java/bin/java
> -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/apache-tomcat -5.5.27-ti
> tomcat 773 21115 0 17:29:27 ? 0:00 /usr/java/bin/java
> -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/opt/apache-tomcat -5.5.27-ti

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

RE: Tomcat 5.5.27 - Solaris 10 - Tomcat process starts additional copies of itself with only 1 thread and no CPU

Posted by Dave Stubbs <da...@stubbs.uk.com>.
I'll get that checked when it next happens (it's doing it daily at the
moment sometime several times).

We've already tried to match the events with the activity on the parent JVM,
haven't found anything yet though (haven't given up on this).

One thing we did notice is higher CPU usage on the main JVM. We're not sure
yet if this happens before or after is creates the additional JVMs, or if
that's just due to high load on the application. We're monitoring that as
well.

Posted by Tobias Crefeld <tc...@cataneo.eu>.
Am Fri, 9 Sep 2011 09:54:36 +0100

Posted by Tobias Crefeld <tc...@cataneo.eu>.
Am Fri, 09 Sep 2011 11:25:13 +0200
schrieb André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>:

> What does the command "netstat -pan | grep LISTEN" show when you have
> such multiple copies running ?

Unfortunately Solaris' netstat doesn't know a option to show listeners.
IIRC there are some scripts in Solaris-world that should do the job.

Regards,
 Tobias Crefeld.

RE: Tomcat 5.5.27 - Solaris 10 - Tomcat process starts additional copies of itself with only 1 thread and no CPU

Posted by Dave Stubbs <da...@stubbs.uk.com>.
The tomcat service is managed by the Solaris service management system (I
can see references to svcs in their start-up/shutdown logs (it's on a
customer's site so I'm not 100% on how it's configured).

I should say there are 2 other tomcat instances all being managed the same
way and they don't have any problems at all.

We've investigated the shutdown and start-up systems thoroughly and are
happy that it's not an external agent that's trying to fire up another
tomcat instance. In fact we've manually fired up a second instance and it
comes up completely differently to these ghost processes, which as I
mentioned before are allocating a whole new chunk of memory but then only
running 1 thread and taking no CPU at all.

Posted by Tobias Crefeld <tc...@cataneo.eu>.
Am Fri, 09 Sep 2011 14:34:44 +0200
schrieb André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>:

> As an alternative to netstat under Solaris, there is the "lsof"
> utility.

AFAIK there is no lsof in (standard-) Solaris-10. But maybe one can
take it from independent repositories like Sunfreeware
(http://www.sunfreeware.com/ shows a hit for lsof on Solaris10/Sparc).

Actually I never found a standard tool in Solaris-10 that could list
the tcp-listeners (...and meanwhile there are only 2 Solaris-machines
left - dying next month...).

Regards,
 Tobias.

Re: Tomcat 5.5.27 - Solaris 10 - Tomcat process starts additional copies of itself with only 1 thread and no CPU

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Dave Stubbs <da...@stubbs.uk.com>.
Solaris environment is....

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.