Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com> on 2013/04/19 06:23:02 UTC

Best way to collect Hadoop logs across cluster

Hi,

my clusters are on EC2, and they disappear after the cluster's instances
are destroyed. What is the best practice to collect the logs for later
storage?

EC2 does exactly that with their EMR, how do they do it?

Thank you,
Mark

Re: Best way to collect Hadoop logs across cluster

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.
Actually the problem is not simple. Based on these problems, there are
three companies working on them:
- Loggly:
  http://loggly.com/

  Loggly is a part of the Amazon Marketplace:
  https://aws.amazon.com/solution-providers/isv/loggly

- Pageduty:
  https://papertrailapp.com/

  How to do it:

http://help.papertrailapp.com/discussions/questions/1767-logging-to-heroku-papertrail-addon-from-an-app-on-external-server

 http://help.papertrailapp.com/kb/how-it-works/permanent-log-archives

http://help.papertrailapp.com/kb/analytics/log-analytics-with-hadoop-and-hive

- Splunk, with its Cloud platform Splunk Storm:
  https://www.splunkstorm.com/

With any of these applications, you can collect permanently or based on
schedule all generated logs from Amazon EC2, which is the base service for
EMR and the others.

Best wishes.

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.
Thank you for all the advice, it was indeed very useful.

Mark

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@shmsoft.com>.