Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Bo <bo...@bochen.ch> on 2018/12/20 04:07:03 UTC

user@commons.apache.org

I'm trying to migrate a custom app running Tomcat5.5.17 to Tomcat7. This application is installed in its own folder on the root directory of a Windows 2008 R2 64-bit machine. The application itself was originally "installed" via the unzip method, and its tomcat folder is inside of the application folder, which itself is placed in the C:\ root drive. As a test, to confirm I'm doing this right, I go to Apache Tomcat archive pages and download the .zip for Tomcat 5.5.17 ( https://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-5/v5.5.17/ ) and unzip it and see if I can do a successful in place migration from the existing version to the exact same version from a clean install etc and it works 100%. During this process I also was able to use WinMerge tool to find all folder and file diffs and comparing the two different tomcat5.5.17 folders side by side to see exactly what values and lines changed from the fresh install to the already installed version... I will include a short summary of all said relevant and pertinent edits/changes at the end of this message.

Long story short, next I'm trying to migrate from Tomcat 5.5.17 to Tomcat7. I see that the officially supported route is two paths, migrating/updating 1 level at a time, from Tomcat5.5 to Tomcat 6 and then from Tomcat6 to Tomcat7. There doesn't seem to be a single migration instruction or guide to go from directly Tomcat5.5 to Tomcat7. In any case, its logical enough that I can combine or merge all the changes from 5.5 to 6 and 6 to 7 to be able to infer what is the total effective elements of change needed to do the successful upgrading from version 5.5.17 to version 7.

see http://tomcat.apache.org/migration-6.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/migration-7.html

So I first download Tomcat7 the zip file from here : http://mirror.olnevhost.net/pub/apache/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.92/bin/apache-tomcat-7.0.92-windows-x86.zip

Then I unzip it and put it in my application directory, after first renaming and backing up the existing old tomcat folder etc...

I use the service.bat to install the service for tomcat7, and confirm that it starts, I can see the status page just fine... so I proceed to install the custom application.

I do step by step, initially just copying over the application folder in the webapps from the tomcat5 to tomcat7 folder, then I restart the tomcat7 service, sign back in to the status page, and I see the application is now listed under the List Applications section. I try to run/start it but of course it won't run or start yet giving error of : "FAIL - Application at context path /qms could not be started"

I realize some major structural changes occured from version 5.5 to version 6, namely detailed here about the merging and consolidation of some directories and especially related to lib folders into a single \tomcat\lib folder in version 6 and version 7.

So I copy/paste and transplant all the stuff in \common\endorsed and \common\lib and \shared\lib to the right locations in the tomcat7 and I follow that with updating the tomcat-users.xml in conf

Then I restart the tomcat7 service, and go back to the status page to start up my custom application but instead of getting a "FAIL - Application at context path /qms could not be started" error message, I'm now getting a new error message that states:

Description The origin server did not find a current representation for the target resource or is not willing to disclose that one exists.
Apache Tomcat/7.0.92

I googled around and people advised that need to use Eclipse tool to help, but my server doesn't have it installed, the application was originally never built with it, never used it and didn't come with it, plus furthermore it doesn't appear some of the solutions are relevant to the issue that I'm facing...

What can I do to get this to work on tomcat7?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

diff changes from tomcat.initialoriginal to tomcat5517zip

in C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\bin
jmx.jar LEFT SIDE ONLY

=====
In
C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\bin\service.bat

LINE 103 "%EXECUTABLE%" //US//%SERVICE_NAME% --JvmOptions "-Dcatalina.base=%CATALINA_BASE%;-Dcatalina.home=%CATALINA_HOME%;-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%CATALINA_HOME%\common\endorsed -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9000 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false" --StartMode jvm --StopMode jvm
vs "%EXECUTABLE%" //US//%SERVICE_NAME% --JvmOptions "-Dcatalina.base=%CATALINA_BASE%;-Dcatalina.home=%CATALINA_HOME%;-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%CATALINA_HOME%\common\endorsed" --StartMode jvm --StopMode jvm

LINE 108 "%EXECUTABLE%" //US//%SERVICE_NAME% ++JvmOptions "-Djava.io.tmpdir=%CATALINA_BASE%\temp" --JvmMs 1620 --JvmMx 1620
vs "%EXECUTABLE%" //US//%SERVICE_NAME% ++JvmOptions "-Djava.io.tmpdir=%CATALINA_BASE%\temp" --JvmMs 128 --JvmMx 256

=====

in C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\common\endorsed
exists
serializer.jar
xalan.jar
xercesImpl.jar
xml-apis.jar
xmlParserAPIs.jar

in C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\common\lib
exxists
activation.jar
commons-codec.jar
commons-httpclient.jar
jdbc2_0-stdext.jar
jta.jar
mail.jar

=====

in C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\conf
exists
Saved tomcat-users.xml
server.xml.bak

=====

C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\conf\server.xml

LINE 76 to 70
 <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 80 -->

vs

 <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->

LINE 341 this section is NOT commented out

 directory="logs" prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
 pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>

LINE 363 this section is new data
<!--<Host name="lonestar.intelliun.net" debug="4" appBase="webapps" autoDeploy="false" >
 <Context path="" docBase="qms" reloadable="true" debug="4" />
 </Host>-->

 /////////////////////////

in C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\shared\lib
exists

activation.jar
alk.jar
HTMLParser.jar
jcommon-1.0.0-rc1.jar
jfreechart-1.0.0-rc1.jar
jta.jar
kawa-1.7.90.jar
ldap.jar
mail.jar
microstar.jar
naming-factory-dbcp.jar
pcmiler-city-latlong.jar
pdf.jar
veserver.jar
vewsf.jar
w3c.jar
webdav-servlet.jar
xml.jar

//////////////////////

in C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\webapps
exists

C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\webapps\mantis
C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\webapps\qms
C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\webapps\ve

/////////

in C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\work
exists
C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\work\Catalina

in C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\work
exists
C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\veindex
C:\VE4_0\tomcat.initialoriginal\weblogs

//////

Re: okay tomcat 6 is earliest/latest version that supports 64bit...

Posted by Robert Paasche <r....@pripares.com>.
You should ask the Tomcat user list, see [0]

But it seems you added an incompatible (too old) version of commons-logging
to Tomcat. You may have to update/upgrade the dependencies of your
application.

[0] http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html

Robert Paasche
Senior Developer

pripares GmbH
Altheimer Eck 2
80331 München

Tel  +49 (0)89 45 22 808 - 30
Fax  +49 (0)89 45 22 808 - 58
Mail r.paasche@pripares.com
Web  www.pripares.com

Handelsregister: Registergericht München HRB 138701
Sitz der Gesellschaft: München
Geschäftsführer: Aßmann Christoph, Ertl Andreas

löschen Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte
Weitergabe dieser Mail und der darin enthaltenen Informationen sind nicht
gestattet.

please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any
e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Posted by Bo <bo...@bochen.ch>.
[...]

at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1685)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:524)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:562)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.load(Bootstrap.java:261)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
[...]

Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory

Re: user@commons.apache.org

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Hello Bo,