Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/02 07:20:37 UTC

Backporting 3.8.1 security fix in 3.6.x

Hi all,

As explained in another thread, I created
https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/462 to backport the security fix on
3.8  in 3.6.x.
Anyone able to review it?
Only change is that the default configuration is not there but it can be
enabled - idea is to document it instead of breaking by default.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: Backporting 3.8.1 security fix in 3.6.x

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
@Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> I'm fine with any *solution* to this
issue which must enable user to use a 3.6.n, n > 3 to block http (and not
https) repos by config. I proposed to backport the 3.8 solution (even if
not satisfying for some) to avoid to break between 3.6 and 3.8 and later
4.x but while goal is reached I'm happy with any solution but have to admit
I'm not sure which one you aim at with your last answer so please advice me
:s.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le ven. 2 avr. 2021 à 16:08, Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org> a
écrit :

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 11:44 AM Romain Manni-Bucau
> <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So teams pick a version with semver like in mind assuming they will get
> > security fixes in this branch for the duration of the projects which tend
> > to be wrong since maven tends to update minor as often as patch digit.
>
> That is a very unjustified assumption. A miniscule fraction of open
> source projects issue patch releases for anything but head. The Linux
> kernel comes to mind. I can't think of a second, and none from the
> Apache Project. I'm sure they're out there, but it's certainly less
> than 1%. Absent an explicit statement that a minor version will
> receive security fixes in the future, I would never assume that
> anything other than the latest release is likely to be patched.

Agree with that, this is why we have a "defining a release policy before
next release" track right now but in the mean time, since several apache
project defined such  policy (thinking to karaf and tomee) and that maven
is really really mainstream, we can't ignore it had been done today - and
once again it is why we get so much negative feedback each time we jump
versions.
So let's fix the immediate need and accomodate our users and fix the real
issue right after/soon to avoid it happens again.

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
"we must clarify our versioning policy"

Hopefully semver-ish, hopefully not "burning" version numbers when a
release candidate fails, that's crazy making for users, especially for a
tool as critical as Maven

Gary

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
From a maven user, plugin developer perspective it is not important for me

--
Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: Backporting 3.8.1 security fix in 3.6.x

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
If you're speaking on behalf of others, please let those people explain their situation. So far I've only heard you, that's not enough for me to support a backport.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
I think there are a couple of issues here:
- To me this shouldn't be done with a PR, but as a set of cherry-picks to keep to original commit history and references.
- Branch 3.6.x contains commits that are unrelated to the 3.8.x branch
- I still don't see the need for this backport. I really doubt that people would pick the possible 3.6.4 over 3.8.1 if they want to protect themselves and do the configuration themselves. As you keep pushing for such a release, please let the community comment (including why they need it and why using 3.8.1 is not an option) on MNG-7134[1] first.

Robert

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-7134
On 2-4-2021 09:21:04, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

As explained in another thread, I created
https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/462 to backport the security fix on
3.8 in 3.6.x.
Anyone able to review it?
Only change is that the default configuration is not there but it can be
enabled - idea is to document it instead of breaking by default.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau | Blog
| Old Blog
| Github |