Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Manjunath BHat <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2001/07/10 12:47:32 UTC

Hi Pete, help regarding running Tomcat with SSL

Hi Pete,

U've said that u r running Tomcat with SSL. R u  using CA cert or Self
signed cert.

Please help me. My environment is NT+IIS+Tomcat

Thanks in advance

Manjunath

Re: Hi Pete, help regarding running Tomcat with SSL

Posted by pete <pe...@claudia.dyn.dhs.org>.
Manjunath,

I am running a Self-signed certificate with Tomcat on Linux (Mandrake
8.0, kernel 2.4.5)

As i said before you need to build tomcat from source, with jsse.jar,
jcert.jar etc. (the file i got from Sun that contains these is
jsse-1_0_2-gl.zip ) in your classpath.

The Ant build process will automatically SSL-enable tomcat during the
build process if jsse.jar is found.

For more detail on  building and configuring an SSL-enabled tomcat, you
need to follow the instructions at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.2-doc/tomcat-ssl-howto.html

After you have built, you need to use 'keytool' to create and install a
certificate.

I have only installed a certificate that i created myself with OpenSSL -
Not sure if this is available on Windows.

If you need to use a 3rd party certificate, you may have to convert it
to the correct format required by keytool. There is a utility to do this
available on the net, but i can't find it right now.

If you follow the instructions in the docs, you should get a working
SSL-tomcat.

-Pete